Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to add a trailer hitch receiver to my F250 XLT SuperCab and am trying to decide if I should get a bolt on reciever or have one welded in.
I was thinking a Class IV would be plenty as I will tow small trailers like toy haulers and car trailers.
Any advantage either way?
Thanx, Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: finkster on 5/23/06 8:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
For what your going to use it for I would just go with a bolt in.. and you can do it your self.. I think...
Tim

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Bolt in, but use grade 8 bolts, not the hardware store bolts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Weld...always weld for a tow hitch. This is one of those areas where that extra margin of safety comes in handy if you ever have a load that starts to get away from you.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I pull a 10K trailer at max GCWR with an F-250

I'd bolt it and use the stock or equiv design. With the stock setup (bolted on the bottom and brackets up the sides) you'll pull the frame out from under it before you pull the hitch off

Remember, any receiver is held by a single pin......

However, do check bolts periodically. Never found a loose one, but good piece of mind before a pull

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the input!

Any particular brands that are better quality than others?
Draw-tite, Valley, U-Haul, etc...

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Use Draw Tite, never had a problem in 15 yrs with 2 vehicles that have them on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
THATS RIGHT ,WELDS WILL CRACK AFTER TIME !! HARD BOLTS AND LOCK WASHERS !!! I PULL A TRAILER 50,000 MILES A YEAR .WHEN BUYING THE HITCH LOOK AT THE THICKNESS OF THE TUBING AND FLAT BAR THAT ITS MADE OF ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts