Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 289 is almost dead... running on 7 cylinders, chugging and burping on acceleration, lots of blow by with oil at idle... needs a new engine.

So, I am looking to get a 302, 351. Looking for a bolt in drop in weekend job that can be done. Problem is, I have the cruise-o-matic. I do not know, but I am pretty sure it does not have the removable bellhousing. So, if I go with a C4 will this bolt in or do I have to change tranny mounts and get a different size drive shaft?

I am not looking for a screaming car, just a good solid reliable cruiser for daily driving. Since this is my daily driver I have to make sure I can get this done on a weekend. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If anyone has any addresses or phone numbers of reliable engine/tranny houses/people in the Phoenix, Arizona area please pass them on via email at [email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am going to do what you suggested and hit up some junkyards... I think I can limp my beast around until I get one built. Do you recommend just getting a basic stock rebuild kit from summit, jegs or someone else.. or do you recommend I get a bit of a performance kit. If I can build a 351 longblock for under $800 w/o heads, then that would be the best.

As for the tranny, I am very clueless on how to hook up my column shift to a c4. Does Lokar make anything to help or do you recommend I just go with a floor shifter from B&M?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your car may already have a C-4 as it was introduced in 1964. If it does it would be the one with the flare case which tend to look like the bell is not a seperate piece. (these are common in trucks and large cars) The dipstick will go into the pan. If it isn't a C-4 it would have to be one of the borg-warner units which also have a removable bell. The B-W unit is easy to tell since the main case is cast iron. In either case you should be able to find a bell from a later trans to to fit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am going to get under the car this weekend. Where should I look for numbers on the case to post here for a diagnosis.

I do not want to sound stupid, but other than an aluminum housing looking a bit different than an iron cast housing, should I look for a seam where it connects to the tranny?

The only reason why I said it was an FMX is because when I had the tranny rebuilt at a shop they said it was a 3 speed FMX... Are C-4's 3 speed too?

If I wanted a stick shift, what would you recommend I look for... just for my information.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I read this post, and after having a good chuckle, had to reply! To start with you say you have a cruise-A-matic, even though a shop has told you its an FMX. They are NOT hard to tell apart! What no one has mentioned is if you really have a '64 289, it will have a 5 bolt bellhousing, and you aren't gonna get a FMX, c-4, c-6 to fit behind it. Well, maybe a C-4, but the early ones were junk. Good Luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The term Cruse-o-matic was orignally used on the 3 speed cast iron automatics, but I belive Ford kept using the name for a few years after the C4 and C6 appeared. As previously mentioned, if you still have your original '64 engine, you will need a six bolt bellhousing for what ever transmission you have. The C4 or the FMX should be no problem, both have a removable bellhousing. The C6 was never made in the 5 bolt pattern so you won't have one of those. It does not have a removable housing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 4/5/02 10:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... I am a bit confused. Please correct where I am wrong.

I have an original 289 that is a 5bolt.
I have a 3speed Cruise-o-matic that is a MX.

If I go with a 351 or later SBF I will need to get parts that are 6 bolt.

351 will drop in, c4 will drop in, I may have to have my driveshaft adjusted.

I do my conversion and enjoy more tourque with minimal inconvienence.

Is the above correct?
Thank you all for your attentions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The MX is a mid-sized BW unit. A six bolt bell for a later unit or FMX should work fine. This is according to a freind who has been rebuilding for 30 years. I personally haven't done it. You also may need different engine mounts as some of the early 289 engines used a 5" bolt spacing vs. the later 6"

Steve S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts