Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a C4 in a '65 Mustang and when I went to install the driveshaft I couldn't get the tranny to turn so I could install the Ubolts. I tried neutral and every gear but it wouldn't turn.
Is this normal since it doesn't have fluid and hasn't been ran or is there a problem??

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is an internal problem.

One way will turn easier than the other.
But it should still turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my project; it's a '68 F100, I put a 302/C-4 from a '79 F150 in it. Transmission worked fine in the '79, but when I put it in the '68, I had the same problem when I tried to rotate it for the U-joints, just like you.
I was perplexed, but went ahead and jacked up the rear and rotated it so I could fasten the U-joints, and started it up. At that point, I noticed the transmission would go into reverse just fine, and the truck could back up, but in any of the forward gears, it acted like it was locked up, almost like it was trying to go forward and backward at the same time. Now, I was really confused, and had just about resigned myself to taking the tranny back out and having it rebuilt. I finally decided that before I went to all that trouble, I'd try some of that additive stuff and see what happens, figured I wouldn't be out anything. Bought some Trans-go or Trans-X (or something like that), put it in there, started it up again, and after a couple tries, it started acting right. I had the rear end on jack stands as I ran it through the gears, by the way. It apparently had something internal stuck in the wrong position, and the additive apparently loosened it up, just as advertised.
Anyway, I'd definitely give it a try- worked great for me.
Troy- Salem, IL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts