Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a rebuild on my C6 that will be going behind the 514 crate. Lower gears, new kit (clutches, etc), reverse valve body, blah, blah, blah. What tranny fluid do I need to use is this thing??? Does it make a difference what year the tranny is??

Thanks,
Chad

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiip. (putting my flame suit on)...... Personally if you're going to use it in HARD racing situations, I'd recommend type F. My .002

·
Registered
143 Posts
hmmm, i seem to like B&M Trickshift. I don't race with a slush box, buy i had a 74 F350 dump that liked to smoke fluid. i tryed it and it did not burn up fluid for a year or so. It passed the high cost of cheap help test.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the B&M and damn$$$$$$$. Anyway, I have seen F, ATF, ATF+3, Dex III, etc, and even mobil synthetic F. do I use F or ATF or are they the same??? Help???

Chad

·
Registered
314 Posts
Use the Type F. I have had very good luck with Havoline Type F. Even run it in my Powerglide.

John Winters (of JW trans and converters) explained it too my like this:

Use type F for anything that has performance type clutches. The clutch material on these are actually softer, but they have more "bite". I confirmed this on my last rebuild. The new Alto red and Raybestos Blue Plate clutches were soft enough that you could scratch the material off with your fingernail. Plus I use a Kevlar lined band that is downright fragile. I could barely scratch the oem clutches or band. The soft material will lock up quicker and it can absorb the shock better. The Type F fluid helps as it is not a slippery as Dex/Mercon.

Any trans that has oem or std rebuild clutches use Dex/Mercon (Ford oem prior to 80 uses Type F also). The slippery fluid works with the harder clucth material. Dex/Mercon lets things slip a little more so Grandpa doesn't spill his coffee when his Lincoln changes gears. The factory wanted the smoother, drawn out (and slipping) shifts.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is ATF the same as F?? Any suggestions as far as using a synthetic??

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clc900 on 1/26/02 12:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
777 Posts
I run Red Line racing synthetic in my race C4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts