Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working on fixing up this Starliner I bought, the transmission pan was leaking and needed to be fixed so I replaced the filter while I was in there, resealed the pan gasket and filled it up with 6 quarts of oil, but that didn't seem to be enough, I need to go get some more. After my test run I noticed tranny oil dripping from the dust cover on the bell housing where the fly wheel is. Is that a sign of the front seal between the tranny and engine leaking?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep front trans seal.. a PIA to fix (the getting to it part) (trans drop) cheap fix just a pain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep front trans seal.. a PIA to fix (the getting to it part) (trans drop) cheap fix just a pain.
shoot, I was affraid of that. Is this something I can do myself? Is there a procedure/instructions I could use?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
shoot, I was affraid of that. Is this something I can do myself? Is there a procedure/instructions I could use?

Other than the FSM probably not really a set procedure. If you are comfortable wrenching yes you can do it. Its just a transmission removal, get it out from under car, pulling the tq converter and changing the seal in the front of the trans. As I said the seal is maybe 7 bucks at the most, just a pia to get to... Better to have strong younguns around cus the trans aint light. Or a decent trans jack and you are golden. The actual hardest part to begin with is getting the car up inn the air high enough to remove trans but still close enough to the ground for the jacks/strong younguns to do the hoisting/lifting pushing pulling etc. Can maybe get a basic idea from one of the cheaper repair manuals, and would be better than having nothing i suppose. Others can chime in on the procedure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not 100% for sure on a C-6, but I'd think 6qts would be more then enuff for a pan drain and filter change..Better run it an dcheck the dipstick before adding more. Don't forget it's only a pint between the add mark and full hot.

If the motor is coming out anytime soon I'd wait on the front seal...Like was said, it's aPITA. unless its really pouring.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Pull the tranny.... That's the procedure.

Disconnect Battery

Lift vehicle at least 18 inches and support properly.

Remove driveline

place jack or tranny jack under tranny for support

Disconnect tranny coolant lines

Disconnect tranny shift linkage

Remove Starter

Remove the inspection cover and remove the torque Converter bolts or nuts

Get a support bracket like a 2X4 and a small cargo strap across the top of the inner-fenders to hold the back of the engine up a little and relieve stress on the motor mounts.

Unbolt tranny cross member

remove 4 lower easily accessible bolts

Lower jack slightly Some top bolts on the tranny bell housing are easier to access from above, some from below with the tranny tilted.

Lower tranny until you feel the motor mounts begin to give resistance or until the cargo strap is holding the engine and you have room to pull the tranny back

Then use the jack and slowly pull tranny back about 2 inches and lower to the ground.

Pull the converter off the front of the tranny very fast and flip it so you don't spill 47 quarts of new fluid....

Pull out old seal

Put in new one and grease the inner and outer lip of the new seal.

Put the tranny back where you got it and fill er up.

Done

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thats easy if ya say it fast....
:tup: Thaz no chit... Also dont forget to get the tq converter set back into position, "clocked" into the tranny pump correctly, or mucho damage WILL occur....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't seem to find a front seal, anyone know a part number or place to purchase it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Tranny front seal leak

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure which seals I need still? Or how many other seals or gaskets I should replace while I have the tranny out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

I got the tranny pulled out finally this past weekend, been busy and finally found the time. The front seal was defintly leaking, and it looked as if the pump seal is leaking as well. Since I have it out I'm going to replace both. The rear seal is bad too so I bought one for it too. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Gonna get them all replaced and put back in soon I hope. Plus a little cleaning of 20 year old grim and grease should help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts