Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of how the gear mounts on the speed sensor pictured below, I'm changing the speedo on my 68 over to programable electric and need some more info.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
It just slips over the end and a standard gear clip retains it in the little groove. That's a common speed sensor, used in all kinds of Fords, like Aerostars, pickups, vans, Crown Vics, etc. Yank the electronic speedo motor off the back of one of those instrument clusters (pickups and vans are easiest) and mount it to your cluster to convert for cheap bucks. If you're going to do that, let me know, and I'll give you a way to make putting the needle in the right spot to read the correct speed easier.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent, thanks david

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
David are you saying you can adapt these to the old sweep style ometers? Something I would be interested in.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
OK, since I don't have a cluster on the shelf; while looking for a pic of the back of a Ford electronic speedometer, I found a good article that shows the calibration process here. He is not doing a full swap (he's changing mileage), but it shows the high-points of removing the needle after taking a reading with a fresh AA, C or D-cell battery, so you can put the needle back on (after adapting to your cluster) in the right spot. I'll try to scan a wiring diagram that shows the basic hookup from the sensor and power to the gauge.

Things to look for are a wrecking yard speedo that has a similar sweep angle and MPH to yours, and adapting to your cluster is generally not a big deal, but it's not a direct bolt-in job or for somebody who prefers working with a big hammer and chainsaw. I did one just pulling the old mechanical mechanism out, and used RTV to 'glue' the electronic guts in-place on the back of the old cluster. Get creative.

BTW, don't count on having a perfectly aligned or visible odometer unless you make some other mods. This is to initially get a working speedometer.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts