Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this isnt exactly "muscle" but my truck, 1994 Ranger, 5 speed, has a problem with the tranny.... AGAIN, I've replaced no less that 3 3rd gear forks. All had the "nubs" worn smooth. At this moment in time, 3rd gear does NOT work, im just driving it with 1,2,4,5. What could possibly be causing these forks going out? Please, dont say bad driving, after the first one was replaced I went SOOO easy on it, and it only lasted about 2500 miles. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'm not really up to snuff on that particular tranny, but could it be misaligned somehow? Like a bent rail, or maybe a hole drilled a few tenths off? I'd check online for a tech service bulletin.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just wondering if I when <if, really> I replace it, if Ill keep having problems, or if the shifter or linkages or something like that could be causing some problems.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I had a trans techie tell me that resting your hand on the shifter while driving will do the same thing. just a possiblity.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i got told that too, and that it will wear them off, I dont think I ever did, but I stopped if I was doing it, I think my mechanic was just an moron, he's out of business now... I wonder why?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts