Anyone here got it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh Good . If you're ever stuck drop me a message I have most different ones
Thanks!

Got another question regarding the 40-2 kit in a 1974 C4

It says to remove the small rubber "puck".

But I read some place that if I could leave it in to keep the shifts a little softer.

Correct or is it recommended to remove it always?
Engine is a 400Hp 302 with a compressor

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
On that 40-2 kit i always remove it. Fit the kit up as per instructions , depending on what stall you use select the yellow or green spring. If you find it shifts too hard you could remove the spring from the cutback is how I have done it to soften it up a tad

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On that 40-2 kit i always remove it. Fit the kit up as per instructions , depending on what stall you use select the yellow or green spring. If you find it shifts too hard you could remove the spring from the cutback is how I have done it to soften it up a tad
Thanks I remove it!

The stallspeed will be very low.....A new converter is built for this car and will be around 1700-1800rpm
A Gear Vendor will be bolted to that C4 so thats why the stall is low

The car will also pull a caravan so what spring is recomended?

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Stay with the yellow pressure spring . I only use the green with converters around 3000 and upwards.
For that setup i'd follow the 40-2 instructions , just leave out the orange cutback spring. That will give you similar results to like a stage one shift improver . I think you'll find the shifts crisp/ firm as you need for towing but shouldn't be too hard.
What servo are you using also will affect the 1-2 and the 2-3 to a point

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stay with the yellow pressure spring . I only use the green with converters around 3000 and upwards.
For that setup i'd follow the 40-2 instructions , just leave out the orange cutback spring. That will give you similar results to like a stage one shift improver . I think you'll find the shifts crisp/ firm as you need for towing but shouldn't be too hard.
What servo are you using also will affect the 1-2 and the 2-3 to a point
The tranny has an A servo but I also have an H servo that would probably be best?

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
The A or H will work ok . Both have same release , H slightly larger on the apply. I'd prob go the H since you are towing to gave that bit added band pressure

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will be installing this kit as well. The motor is a 1980 stock 302 with 4 barrel intake and 600 cfm carb. I may upgrade the heads later on. A rebuilt and cam will probably be the last update. So I probably won't get a stall until the last stage. What path would you follow on this shift kit install?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I will be installing this kit as well. The motor is a 1980 stock 302 with 4 barrel intake and 600 cfm carb. I may upgrade the heads later on. A rebuilt and cam will probably be the last update. So I probably won't get a stall until the last stage. What path would you follow on this shift kit install?

I do it exactly as per the kit and use the yellow spring . I think you'll find it will be fine . Should be firm shifts without being too harsh.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do it exactly as per the kit and use the yellow spring . I think you'll find it will be fine . Should be firm shifts without being too harsh.
Transmission guy never called me back, so I guess I'll be the one doing this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good idea to follow Greg's suggestion. The green spring is too harsh for a "low stall" convertor and would 'bang" the shifts un necessarily.
I'm guessing that I should hang on to the extra spring for later on when I bump up the power

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I'm guessing that I should hang on to the extra spring for later on when I bump up the power

For sure hang onto that green spring. As GT350HR said the green spring with a stock converter will be too hard.

The yellow spring will still be sweet with a stall up to the high 2000's. Around 3000rpm and above i switch to the green spring

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
If you get stuck sing out for help although the instructions are very good..
You will notice the new gasket in the kit has 5 extra 3/8" holes , that is normal will be fine.

What that does is creates a bleed between those passages to give the manual 1st gear shift at any speed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts