Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my lift done so I am getting around to looking at everything since I bought it this past summer. Im getting some banging from my trans mount. It looks like a stock mount yet I do not see bolts for the upper mount, so I do not know whats above the crossmember or if there is anything there. I am going to get a 4X4 so I can support the tailshaft why I pull the crossmember to see whats going on. Here are some pictures. I would love to get the Melvin mount, but it looks like my 4spd has differant mounting.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/falcon-pages/482928-c4-tranny-mount.html Last post

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like you have the cantilever mount which was the early style. Yours is also the 6 cyl style as it only has a single flat spring and is lacking the second curved spring added for a v8. It's probably all there, just flattened out and tired rubber bushings.

You can switch to the Melvins mount or the 'c4 conversion mount' sold by falcon venders. 'C4 conversion mount' is a misnomer. Should be called the 'Universal Mount' as it will mount almost any ford trans made. Either one will work. Just use the standard rubber trans mount same as used on manual trans which is a direct bolt-on. This style setup is a step up in design and dependability.
R

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you have the cantilever mount which was the early style. Yours is also the 6 cyl style as it only has a single flat spring and is lacking the second curved spring added for a v8. It's probably all there, just flattened out and tired rubber bushings.

You can switch to the Melvins mount or the 'c4 conversion mount' sold by falcon venders. 'C4 conversion mount' is a misnomer. Should be called the 'Universal Mount' as it will mount almost any ford trans made. Either one will work. Just use the standard rubber trans mount same as used on manual trans which is a direct bolt-on. This style setup is a step up in design and dependability.
R
Thats what I would like to do, but look how my mounting holes are in my trans. Front to back, not side to side. I do not see how it would work on my trans. I like the Melvin mount.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I have a Toploader as well. I picked up my reproduction cantilever spring mount from Northwest Classic Falcons (I miss that place...) in about 1991 or so. I'm not seeing that fat short spring pack that bridges the gap from the mount and the "doughnut" to the trans.

My setup has these two parts:

63/65 Falcon Trans Mnt - Ford Parts

61/65 Falcon Cantilever Support - Ford Parts

I can't find a link to the spring, but if you check out this thread you'll see pics of it.

• Login

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is what the original 64 mount looks like . It came in my 64 that i bought new in 1964. It supported a 4 speed , but in this picture it has a c/4 i put in it. This 64 came with the 170 and a 4 speed. The 4 speed was almost as heavy as the v/8 / t-10 only a lot weaker, easy to break. I never knew they made this mount with out the curved leaf in it . It would have to be pretty weak as this one that was in mine is not very strong built. I later went to a newer trany and changed over to a better conversion mount.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts