Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently in the process of swaping a 302 for a 351C in my 70 fastback. We got the 302 out were comparing the 2 flex plates and the 351 is bigger and will not fit in the 302's c-4. We really do not want to go the trouble of changing transmissions. What can I do? Can I keep the stuff off the 302 and put it on the 351? Or will the starter not have enough power with the different gear ratio to crank over the bigger engine? I was wondering if there was a bigger bellhousing that I could get that would bolt up to the c-4 but at the same time be able to accomidate the 351 flywheel.
ANY help would be great!
Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The 302 flexplate will bolt straight up to the clevo with no probs.Since your car is a 70 the balance weights will be the same.Just use the 302 block plate +flexplate and all will fit up ok.The only little prob you might strike is the dipstick tube may need a bit of a little bend to clear the clev.Also make sure you fit the ring that goes on the flexplate under the bolt heads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hopping it was that easy, and it appears that it is! So the 302 starter should not have much trouble starting the 357 engine? I could always get a stonger starter. Beats fitting in a new trans!
Thanks for your help!
Matt

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another problem...the bolt holes where the flexplate bolts to the block are slightly different. I had forgoten this until just now. is there any way to retrofit the 302 plate to work with the 351?
Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The flexplate holes are the same but will only line up in one spot.Some positions are very close but not close enough.It has to be in the right spot so the balance wt is positioned right.The starter wont be a prob if it is in good condition..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts