Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on which way to go with a tranny choice. I want to use a c4 but i cant decide whether to pick up the stronger post 70 c4 and rebuild it with a shift kit, etc. or go with an aftermarket one like B&M or TCI. What i want to know is, what will hold up behind a 450-650hp small block with forced induction or NOS or both. would a basic rebuild with shift kit hold up to that or one of the aftermarket ones? any bad experiences with this tranny? i know they are supposed to be strong.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
All I can say is that my C4 is fairly stock. I've added a TCI rebuild kit, (no bigie), (basic rebuild). PA servo and kevlar intermediate band, and a TCS torque converter.
I'm only pulling 572 hp, (last years combo), but the transmission looked pristine upon tear down this winter. That's after 2 years of abuse. I am going to freshen it up and do a few performance upgrades, (just because I'm in there, and can), but nothing that's necessary.
A good overhaul/rebuild, a good shift kit, and at least an H servo will hold up to alot of abuse!
(flame suit on).........

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am getting a post 1970 c-4 rebuilt (should pick it up tomorrow) with a stage 2 shift kit. It will be for my 351 Cleveland with about 360 HP. It should hold up just as long as the engine, or so I hope.

Maybe a c-6 would be better for your app.?

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I'd say build your own.Drag79 summed it up pretty well.You won't have any prob with strength,just ask the guys running them behind big blocks.From what i can tell the name brands are just rebuilt with a shift kit anyway.Check out the archive article if you haven't seen it already or put your questions here.Any C4 posts get plenty of feedback.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As a side bar,
I am using the a stock
flex plate from a 351m on my
351c. I am using a C4 and the
stock torque, does anyone
see any problem with this?
I had already bolted the
engine and tranny together, but
could not get the engine to turn