Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I am going to put in a new cooling system. Aluminum water pump, aluminum radiator and dual electric fans. My question is about the radiator. I am looking in the summit racing catalog and I see some that are around 200 dollars then there are ones that are 5-600 dollars. Other than the transmission coolar what is the difference? I have a external trans cooler will this work fine without the one in the radiator? Which one should I go for. I want a cooling system that I can run in hot weather in traffic and not worry about overheating.
My other question is about changing to an AOD trans. I have a 71 torino Gt with a 351c and c-6. I wanted to check about changing to a AOD. What would be involved in this swap and what are good donor cars to find one. Thanks for you help in advance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just had this discussion with a buddy of mine who has a chevelle with a nice 454, and a real loose converter, I forgot exactly the rpms, but it's a 9 inch unit. Anyhow he's got an aluminum radiator, with no trans cooler built in, what he's going to do is run a trans cooler with a small electric fan attached to pull the heat out of it. I dunno how this will work, only time will tell. On my mustang, I have the fluid from the trans going to the cooler in the radiator, then from the radiator, it goes to another external cooler, so far so good, I guess it all boils down to what your going to do with the car, and how much heat the trans is going to build up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts