Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my c4 transmission needs a rebuild. My 68 mustang currently has a 200 inline 6. this winter, im hoping to rebuild a 351w. (out of a 90's truck) so my questions are-
-do i rebuild the c4 and put it back in and use it with the 200 until i repower with a 351?
-is there a transmission that will bolt up to a 200 and also a 351 if i swap bell housings? im thinking about doing a manual trans if this is the case. but if you could list automatics too, that would be nice.
- would it be easier just to find a junkyard c4 if im only gonna be using the inline 6 for maybe 2 more years at max
- what is needed to swap a c4 out for a c6?

-as far as the 200, it has a holley 1977 80220. its a single barrel. im gonna rebuild it for now so i have a good runner till i swap. can you guys lead me to the right rebuild kit?
thank you for any replies!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C4's don't care what engine they are behind as long as you use the right bellhousing. Get the C4 rebuilt and you can use it behind your 351 later.
I was thinking about putting aluminum heads on it and building it to about 400-450 horses. If i just rebuild it, would a c4 handle that much horsepower? I kind of want a manual transmission when i repower with the 351. what kind of transmissions should i look into if i go that route? i would basically be bolting it up to the 200 for a couple of years and then using it with the 351 later

·
Registered
487 Posts

The 6cylinder is not a good choice to rebuild for a V8 conversion. You need one originally for a V8. Then if properly built it will handle 500+ with ease. My low eleven second race car has a C4 as well as my 480 HP 408w in my daily driver. trouble free for years.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
You can install a V8, and find a T5 setup from a junk Fox body. For a pre-1982 302 or 351W, you'll need an earlier 28 oz-in T5 flywheel. You'll likely need to source an aftermarket supplier, but they are reasonably priced last time I checked. All the rest of the 'junkyard' T5 stuff should work. You'll also need to do a cable clutch swap to work with the T5 stuff. Mustang Steve is your source for that swap.

He has all sorts of helpful parts that you often need when working on these old mustangs.

https://www.mustangsteve.com/

It will also be a good idea to upgrade the rear end and brakes after doing your engine swap. :)

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts