Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Toploader transmission; but I am having trouble finding out more about it. From what I have seen the tag should read HEH or RUG. Mine is RAT. Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Rat is a toploader 3 speed used from 67-72. You can probably find your prefix at the bottom of this link: http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/3speedidchart.htm

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/30/06 9:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Strange thing is the RAT E1 code is not listed. Also, it looks more like a 4 spd than a 3 spd (tailshaft looks like the 4 spds I have seen). Did they mix and match?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I found this on another site after a search for TOPLOADER RAT E1 ( http://www.clubcobra.com/t48530-15-1.html )

"its a ford 3 spd toploader......the same trans ford sold pontiac in mid to late 60's used in lemans & gto.. front housing was cast to mount to GM bellhousing .. pontaic called their toploader a DEARBORN"

They even mentioned the toploader appearing tailshaft.

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/30/06 9:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That makes perfect sense. This transmission came with a Pontiac GTO motor I bought 20 years ago. I was surpised to find that it was a Ford trans and thought that the guy had mislead me!

I have never heard of GM using a Ford tranny. Thanks so much for the information.

Just curious, what tipped you off that it was used on Pontiacs? All the reading I have done never mentioned it.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I never knew that Pontiac used the transmission until I Googled "Toploader RAT E1".

Glad to have helped. It certainly is an oddball tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts