Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 Galaxie with the Cruiseomatic transmission. Tranny has 143K and has never been rebuilt. Recently the transmission has been having a problem shifting into third gear until the car is completely warmed up. I have to drive the car for 4-5 miles until it will go into 3rd. Once it finally does shift into 3rd it is fine going forward. The transmission fluid is at the proper level and was replaced (along with the filter) about 2K ago. Any ideas what may be causing this or is it time for a rebuild? My brother said to try a band adjustment to see if that would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Delayed operation until warm is usually caused by old hardened internal seals. They become more pliable with warmth and begin to work. Band adjustments to factory spec can't hurt at all, and it's free to try, but is not likely your primary issue if it works well after a while.

David

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I had similar problems with my rebuilt. When it was cold, would not creep in idle. Had to run it up 2000 rpm to get it moving. But after 3-4 blocks it worked fine. I wasw thinking like PSIG. Tried a can of TransX without much luck. I tightened the front band and that helped some. Probably should have tightened it a little more.

I was advised to be sure the two valves from the torque converter should be cleaned. Those are the ones behing the big springs. I pulled mine (easy to do, don't even need a screwdriver) but they were nice n smooth.

Just some ideas. You are going to have a hard time finding a rebuider who can get the right parts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Delayed operation until warm is usually caused by old hardened internal seals. They become more pliable with warmth and begin to work. Band adjustments to factory spec can't hurt at all, and it's free to try, but is not likely your primary issue if it works well after a while.

David
Yeah...that has been my my thought (and fear) all along. The fact that it has made it this long without a rebuild is pretty good though. I will asking around about a good transmission shop in Richmond, Va. Any recommendations out there please let me know.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer to WA DC then i'd have a place to recommend. If they are still in business at least. If you know your local napa or other autoparts people well, ask them about a shop. That's how i found the one near DC. Wished i were near there myself when i needed a tranny rebuilt while here in WA state. Did a search and as of Dec 2nd they were closed but don't know if for good or not. I am still in contact with a couple of the napa guys, not sure if they would know of someone near Richmond or not.

FE (as i'm thinking you will show your mug in here) isn't one of the guys at Cooks in Richmond or near there? Can't for the life of me remember the name but Cook was doing a car for him a couple years ago, a Comet or something...red i think. You know, one of the jello lovers way back. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts