Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the event that my current tranny doesnt work out, where can i get a good rebuilt C4 or have my C4 rebuilt in the San Francisco, CA area? How much can i expect to pay? Id rather get a post 70 tranny already rebuilt rather than have my 65 tranny done. any changes i need to consider if using a 70+ C4 or is it totally straight forward (any flexplate changes?)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
No, no difference externally. Just make sure you get the same case style as you currently have. The mustang bellhousing bolted to the pump (called a step case C4). Some of the later models also had a stule that bolted to the case (called a pan fill C4) in addition to the step case C4.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would rather use the post 70 trans, they came with the pump and bellhousing bolted to the case seperately and were stronger. is there any differences with those as far as mounting or size or anything?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is the heavy duty c4 you are talking about. It usually came in the trucks. It had a 26 spline input shaft where most of the cars had the 24 spline. All 69 and earlier had the 24 spline.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what did all the 70s cars like granadas and stuff have? if i am getting a torque converter with the tranny, then everything else should work right? is the output shaft and length the same? will i be able to use the stock driveshaft?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Alot of the cars were mixed as far as the heavy duty and standard c4's. Also the cars could be both 24 or 26 spline. The lengths are all the same and the driveshaft should be ok. The only difference is the 24 and 26 splines. Just count your splines for your converter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/7/02 7:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
the heavy duty C4/C5 was the pan fill model. It generally had the larger servo and the drums that held more clutches without mods. The bellhousing bolts to the case and not the pump. Overall size is the same as to the bolt pattern and tranny mount position. The pan fill model used the large 164 tooth flywheel.

Now, I have never check it, but I see no reason why you couldn't bolt the smaller bell housing to the pump like the step case so you could use the smaller 157 tooth flywheel. You would still have to use the pan filler tube and dipstick.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Today I bolted a 2.3 bellhousing to a pan fill C-4. No problem. I have a '65 Mustang with a early bellhousing & a late tranny as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts