Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Recently I got a new Performance Automatic PA26101 C4 transmission which ended up not fitting my old belhousing properly so I got the PA bellhousing as well. Managed to get it hooked up and it was sounding fine for about 5 mins and then a noise started... I've attached a link below to a video in my google drive which shows what it sounds like when manually going through the gears. It sounds fine in P or N but the same noise is heard in all the other gears. After some quick googling it could be the torque converter but this wouldnt have been my first guess given that its only about 2.5 years old, also from PA (PA26212 stall around 2400rpm, "engineered to withstand the punishment of full throttle starts") and was working perfectly fine with the old transmission.

I'd really be grateful for any and all suggestions. Thanks!

TLDR:
  • Transmission noise when in gear, good when in P or N
  • Full Performance Automatic set up now (faily new torque converter, new bellhousing, new c4 transmission)
Transmission noise when shifting video

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Recently I got a new Performance Automatic PA26101 C4 transmission… After some quick googling it could be the torque converter but this wouldnt have been my first guess given that its only about 2.5 years old…
My first question is why you replaced the transmission. If it was for fun, then the converter, cooler and lines should only need a reverse-flushing. If it was a trans problem, then the converter is typically rebuilt to remove any trash and inspect for damage to things like bearings, and to prevent the trash from contaminating the new trans. ;) This should have been in the PA instructions or warranty.

So, was there a trans issue in the old C4, and did you either flush everything or rebuild the converter?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts