Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new tremec and the conversion parts for my 66 coupe today. I have 2 questions:

1. Which aftermarket shifter will have the best "reach"? I want to minimize the need to stretch when shifting.

2. Are there any tricks that might be helpful when doing this conversion?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think Hurst make a special retro shifter for the T-5. However, you can make one using an old 3 or 4 speed shifter, if you have a welder. My Mustang repair shop quoted me a price of $35 to make one using an old 3 speed shifter. Check the archives on the T-5 swap they show one.

Yes, what are the tricks, I just bought a tremec too, I still don't know which B/H to use or what to do about the clutch linkage, since I am changing over from a C4. I have the late model B/H which came with the tremev, but I want to upgrade to a Lakewood SFI housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the shifter handle matters more than the shifter. I have a long Hurst handle that bends back, otherwise I wouldn't be able to reach it in first or third.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys, the front-to-rear location of the shift tower on a Tremac 3550/TKO is the same as your Ford T-5. Shifter handles typically have a standardized, 2-bolt pattern. So whatever shifter handle you like best for the T-5 should work great on your new Tremac.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am about to do ths same swap to , mustangs unlimited sells a shortened input shaft that leats a tremec bolt directly up to the old toploader bellhousing. As for the shifter handle I am going to cut my toploader hurst
comp plus handle off and to the oppropreate
leght , should look cool and work perfect.

lowside

1 - 6 of 6 Posts