Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these headers have lots of ground clearance,I'm talking about the old shelby style for a 66 mustang 289.There's a few used sets around fairly cheap but clearance is important on this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had them on my 65 with the low motor mounts, and ground clearance was no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It all depends how much you have lowered the front of your car. They are lower than the oil pan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i run a cheapie set on my ranger with a 164 tooth c/4 and they literally touch the bellhousing--kinda on the sides not on the bottom -- so i dont think that they could tuck up any higher physically -- not a bad fit and they generic ones are cheap --- only difference between brands that i have seen is the collector lenghts

·
Registered
125 Posts
The tri-y hug the chassis closer than any other header, on 65-66, keep in mind that the collectors are only 2 1/2 inch. As said before, be prepared to do some grinding on the bellhousing, 2 out of three sets I've had required some clearancing on the bell. Not much though. Make sure you check the clearance before tightening all the head flange bolts, the flanges at the heads will bend.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys they will be going on a very mild 302 so the 2 1/2 collectors will be ok.The cars not lowered but will see some gravel roads in Saskatchewan so I didn't want anything hanging down.How much lower than the oil pan are we talking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts