Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
which port are you using for vacuum advance, and have you cappe
This is not the carb I have. The one i have has a hot air choke that I converted to automatic. There is only one port on it for the vacuum advance which is located towards the front of the carb

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just tried the dollar bill trick over the oil filler and the bill gets pushed away. No internal vacuum leak. I was able to also get a timing reading. At idle around 1200 RPM with the engine at operating temp I am at 11 BTDC. While doing checking these the battery ended up dropping below 12V and was unable to turn the engine over. I connected my battery charger and the car runs like a champ while connected. I am also able to lower the RPMs and put the car in gear without it stalling. Im beginning to think that the issue is the old generator. It may be time to convert over to an alternator

·
Registered
453 Posts
i would think at 1200 rpm your mechanical advance is in play, so once you get it to idle down, recheck your timing

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I tried to turn down the idle to 700 but it wont go much below 800 without wanting to start sputtering. The timing with the RPMs that low is closer to 5 BTDC

·
Subscriber
511 Posts
I connected my battery charger and the car runs like a champ while connected. I am also able to lower the RPMs and put the car in gear without it stalling. Im beginning to think that the issue is the old generator.
Hm - that kinda blows my mind. Unsure why an electrical issue would cause high rpm at idle.
but - i'm not one to look the gift horse in the mouth. Sounds like you've found the issue.
Make sure to rule the battery out before you swap the generator.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also see if you can find an old-school auto electrical shop in your city. Make sure first that they actually do work in house vs. mailing it somewhere or swapping for a "rebuilt" one. My generator wasn't working and they just replaced the brushes and checked it out and it's fine since.

Pat

21 - 27 of 27 Posts