Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My uncle is buying a 67 mustang convertible and asked me to check out the data plate. I've punched the warranty number and 7R03X231864 data code 76A T 2A 20U 72 D 4 and no matter where I check it fails with the X in the warranty number and the 4 in the data plate.

Any ideas on what is up? Is it something basic and I'm just missing something or??

Thanks in advance,

D.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Dbarr,

I've googled a few mustang forums, and a 67 X code is a 390 2v engine. Only 733 X codes made, as most people went for the S code 390 4v. They don't appear on many of the 'decoding, websites, most likely to their 'uncommonness'

As for the 4 code trans, I could t find anything on that. 3 Spd manual was standard, maybe the original owner took that as a cheaper option in line with the cheaper X code. But I'm purely speculating.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
66FairlaneWagn, per Kevin Marti's Mustang...by the numbers book, there is no X code Motor for 1967. In 1968 the X code does appear as a 390-2v and 733 Mustangs so equipped. The X transmission code doesn't show up until 1969 and is the FMX automatic trans.The 733 Mustangs that you noted were all equipped with the C-6 aoto trans, per the Marti book. Dave R.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dbarr, per the same Marti book as I referenced in the below post there is no 4 code trans from 1967-1973. Just reporting what I am reading in Marti's book. Dave R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts