Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If its spitting back, I'd question timing.... but you said..... . Ignition and carburation can mimic eachother. It could be a bad condensor if you still run points ignition. Other items to check, plugs (for cracked porcelin) or wires for bad connection. On the flip side is lean condition caused by clogged fuel filter. Check to make sure there is enough fuel in the bowl or temporarily remove the filter to make sure you have good fuel pressure and fuel getting in. Get back after you check those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about the Power Valve in the carb is blown? Seems like I had similar symptoms on my 72 GTS 400 with a stock 2bbl carb. Pulled the carb, replaced the valve bolted on the bottem of the carb, symptoms cleared and ran like a dream. John M.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had several severely fouled plugs that made my engine do the same thing. Had a real hard time starting it, I ended up flooding it so bad the exhaust pipes had fumes build up in them, when I let off the key from start to run it fired and actually ran backwards for a few seconds. And it did that more than once. Changed the plugs and it was good to go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Double check your firing order. Sounds like you have two crossed.

Confirm that #1 is hitting when it is supposed to. Bring the engine to your desired initial settng by hand. Attach the timing light. Loosen the hold down and twitch the housing a little. Pull the trigger on your gun and the light should come on. Cinch it down when you have it at just the right place, between off and on. That will get you very close on initial.

Always check the rest of your timing with things like vac advance off and plugged,etc.

Good luck!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
First off why don't you give us the info on how it got this way? Did you turn it up because it was doing this? You bought it this way? Etc?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts