Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here know if Ford sold new trucks caps(camper shells) included and made by ford also in 77-78? I'll copy and paste the question from the owner of the truck. I have never heard of a Ford brand cap that came factory with the new fords but I don't know much about the trucks and anything is possible with Ford. :)

Deb

i have a 1978 f-250 i bought from illinois it has
a cap on it. the cap ha a ford part number and ford id tag the guy told
me it came new with the truck factory. i have ask alot of poeple about
this they dont know of ford making there own caps in 1977-78. so i
have looked on e-bay theres not one i could find on or off any truck.if
any one knows anything about this please let me know. like i said it
has ford part # and a tag that says the dos and donts it says FORD
MOTOR COMPANY and dated 1977 thank you so much for reading.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dad ordered a new truck in 77 and it came with the factory "cap". There were two versions, the standard and the deluxe. The standard version had solid, one piece windows with black rubber seals. The deluxe had sliding front and side windows with a chrome strip in the rubber seal and the back window also had the chrome strip in the seal. The deluxe version also had an interior light and a roof vent. The majority of the cap had a textured finish except for a 3 or 4 inch section at the front of the cap that went over the top and then widened out as it went down towards the truck box. From there is again narrowed down and went toward the rear of the truck. This area had a smooth finish and many people painted this smooth section the same color as the truck, it really finished it off. These caps also had a clamp setup that went into the truck stake holes. You just tightened a bolt and they tighened a metal bar in the stake hole. They used to be very common in this part of the country, still see them now and then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts