Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called a Ford shop to have my car looked at today. I explained to the person on the phone that the car cranks but doesn't start randomly and if I could bring it in for them to check out. The peson (lady) said "We can't diagnose the problem until we can get it to duplicate the problem." "If the car is able to start,there is nothing we can do until it fails to start again"

I asked if there was a way to check the fuel pressure (when running) to see if maybe it's the fuel pump going bad. She said "If the car starts, then the fuel pressure will be correct" I'm thinking to myself "WTF?" She then told me to bring it in friday and they will check to see if it starts from time to time during the day until it fails to start.

Is that a bunch of crap or what? Should I be calling another place?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I agree with her first point that you can't diagnose a problem unless it can be duplicated. Her second comment is a bit off target. In my experience, the vehicle could start without "correct" fuel pressure but it may not run correctly. What is her position there? Is she a service writer? Ask to speak to the service manager. Maybe you'll get better direction.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
At my shop I tell you this:

I cannot make it right if it's not wrong when I get it. But I can and will try to get it to do for me what it does for you and diagnose why.

If they did NOT offer that right off the bat then go elsewhere until someone tells you those words without being prompted.

The place you called would likely never touch your car then call you up and say come get it just to get you to go away...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is there a "Check Engine" light on? If so then the problem should be in the computer and a simple download with an OBD reader will tell you what the problem is.

John

The CEL does not come on when it doesn't start.

Like I said in my other post, I can now tell if the car will start or not simply by hearing how loud or faint the fuel pump hum" is. I hear a hum either way but when it's noticably louder than other times, I know it will start.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Could be a failing pump. :)
X-2. Pretty simple, and he diagnosed it without taking it to the dealer. Replace the pump AND ALL the filters and drive it for another 100k miles....

Why second guess your instinctive feelings?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
The CEL does not come on when it doesn't start.

Like I said in my other post, I can now tell if the car will start or not simply by hearing how loud or faint the fuel pump hum" is. I hear a hum either way but when it's noticably louder than other times, I know it will start.

YOU KNOW when it will start or won't

the only thing to know now is , what your going to do about YOU KNOW , and what knowing tells you

ADD. cheaper to by a low cost pressure gage than paying them to tell you ..no pressure/or low psi

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a starter relay in the fuse box under the hood? I'm not sure if there even is such a thing on this car, but somebody told me to check that too...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:confused::frown::cry::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
How many times does everyone on here need to tell you its a failing fuel pump? Christ on a cracker!!!! My Dad had a new Stang that did the same dam thing and it was .................... wait for it........................... THE FUEL PUMP!! Just like I said before. Hello walllllllllsssssssssss ...

·
Registered
734 Posts
CRAAAANK SENSOOOOOOOR! :tup:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1982 GT

351w(.060), ported & polished heads with 1.94/1.60 valves, 10.3 comp, stealth intake, 274XE cam, Holley 750 dp, Mallory dist., shorty headers, flowmasters, 4:10 gear, c-4 with 3700 stall converter, subframes, electric fan
Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

You need to find a shop that specializes in older/HI-PO cars. Maybe your local speed shop can point you to one. Stay away from the dealer. They will light you up (cash ticket).

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
did you read the OP?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

You need to find a shop that specializes in older/HI-PO cars. Maybe your local speed shop can point you to one. Stay away from the dealer. They will light you up (cash ticket).
This post is a carry over from another one I had. So, the car in question is my 2nd car, which is a 2000 (3.8) mustang. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many times does everyone on here need to tell you its a failing fuel pump? Christ on a cracker!!!! My Dad had a new Stang that did the same dam thing and it was .................... wait for it........................... THE FUEL PUMP!! Just like I said before. Hello walllllllllsssssssssss ...
I know that but I'm starting to discover that there are other things that could be failing that would produce the same symptoms, like the CCRM, which is something I did not know about.

Anyhow, that's not what this post is about though. THIS post is about a discussion I had with the service writer at a dealership and I wanted to know if it was accurate or not.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
This post is a carry over from another one I had. So, the car in question is my 2nd car, which is a 2000 (3.8) mustang. Sorry for the confusion.
:confused:

I know that but I'm starting to discover that there are other things that could be failing that would produce the same symptoms, like the CCRM, which is something I did not know about.

Anyhow, that's not what this post is about though. THIS post is about a discussion I had with the service writer at a dealership and I wanted to know if it was accurate or not.
The service writer was not correct or just trying to shake you off the phone. The car has to go on a scanner and a fuel pump test done.

Now you can rewrite it anyways you want, listen to the guesses from the guys here or go to a reputable shop and have the car diagnosed and repaired.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
To start from post one I'd say find another shop.... The car may start, but with a failing f/p the pressures would be on the low side of the acceptable specs i would think.....
Find a shop that will do a fuel pressure test and go from there. Hopefully it will fail to start at that time...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts