Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone please recommend the exact tool needed to remove, install and adjust the trunk/deck lid torsion rods on a 1968 Mercury Montego convertible with the design shown here?

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

I see a lot of tools for sale on Ebay, but the closest fit in form and function seems to be a General Motors dealership tool. And I've checked out other threads, like this one...

...but the design is different. As is the design this tool from West Coast Classic Cougars seems to work on...

Also, I have this shop manual, and can find nothing in it regarding this problem.

Font Rectangle Slope Brand

My original plan was to remove them completely and paint them and the brackets body color. But if there is no way to get them back in without scratching the heck out of the paint, I might just paint them black and touch them up manually with a brush after installation. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I once saw a body man use a ratchet strap to pull the bar back to remount it.
Okay, using a Come-Along worked...to move the rods from the forward, wouldn't hold up the trunk position, to the rear, now the trunk lid will stay up position. So thanks, but I would still prefer to have the proper tool for the job of removing and reinstalling, as this procedure was a little sketchy.
Wood Cross Religious item Artifact Gas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts