Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the 70's I had a TRW camshaft that had a .508 lift and 310 duration it sounded great to me and performed good also to me. now here is the question what if I ordered a Mechanical roller cam with same specs would it also sound and perform close or better

·
Registered
364 Posts
Never know until you try it. The reasons are, 70s cams are very different then today's cams. 50 years of technology has made them very different, even with the same lift and dur numbers.
Also a Roller cam has a very different profile because of the roller lifter and not one that actually rubs on the lobe surface. So many times a roller has a more aggressive profile.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The TRW TP109 you had was the exact same grind as the Ford C7FE LeMans cam . The numbers were changed slightly to hide the fact. Since roller cam lobes are different than solid lifter lobes as rickyracer mentioned , you would need a cam with "around" 236-240 duration at .050 and that would likely have higher lift. The solid roller would be more powerful for certain.
Randy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never know until you try it. The reasons are, 70s cams are very different then today's cams. 50 years of technology has made them very different, even with the same lift and dur numbers.
Also a Roller cam has a very different profile because of the roller lifter and not one that actually rubs on the lobe surface. So many times a roller has a more aggressive profile.
Thank you Very much I'm old but I did like that cam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TRW TP109 you had was the exact same grind as the Ford C7FE LeMans cam . The numbers were changed slightly to hide the fact. Since roller cam lobes are different than solid lifter lobes as rickyracer mentioned , you would need a cam with "around" 236-240 duration at .050 and that would likely have higher lift. The solid roller would be more powerful for certain.
Randy
Thank You for your Reply also I really like that cam

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
There is of course more than just lift and adv/.050 duration, which could completely change the behavior to something you don't like too. .200 duration, ICL, LSA. I'd recommend camming for purpose and matching the parts you have. Happy to help pick if you'd like. Need as much information of the build and use, and then we can compare to sound and curve of the old cam. The good old days were awesome, love the old stuff myself, but what a difference with a modern lobe

Reactions: rickyracer1983

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is of course more than just lift and adv/.050 duration, which could completely change the behavior to something you don't like too. .200 duration, ICL, LSA. I'd recommend camming for purpose and matching the parts you have. Happy to help pick if you'd like. Need as much information of the build and use, and then we can compare to sound and curve of the old cam. The good old days were awesome, love the old stuff myself, but what a difference with a modern lobe
Here is what I have 60 over 400 dome top TRW pistons.. D4AE 58cc heads worked over been shaved pretty hard from what the guy I got then from said be careful of high lift cam.. 190 intake 154 exhaust valves. ported and throats been opened. stock 289 crank. air gap intake 750 dual pumper C4 3800 stall. long tubes. 456 rear what do you recomend on this little info. parts that I have and only wanting to buy a low lift solid roller in the 508 range custom cut

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I have 60 over 400 dome top TRW pistons.. D4AE 58cc heads worked over been shaved pretty hard from what the guy I got then from said be careful of high lift cam.. 190 intake 154 exhaust valves. ported and throats been opened. stock 289 crank. air gap intake 750 dual pumper C4 3800 stall. long tubes. 456 rear what do you recomend on this little info. parts that I have and only wanting to buy a low lift solid roller in the 508 range custom cut
a play thing not very much road miles not pump gas

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Well, without some real measurements, I'd be guessing at net 8 cc dome, .010 in the hole, and best 10.5:1. Your heads aren't helping you at all BTW, however, if the combo does drive that much compression, you need to kill it with cam and it's only going to sound good, it won't run that hard.

This is one case where I personally wouldn't sell you a cam, I'd recommend you look up lobes in the comp catalog for solid rollers, going to need a lobe at 288 advertised intake, a little more on the exhaust, on 108 centers, installed straight up. As much as I want to help, and I do understand creative budget builds,i t's a combo I'd probably try to talk you out of. A set of good flat tops and a set of heads, you could likely make more power with much less cam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, without some real measurements, I'd be guessing at net 8 cc dome, .010 in the hole, and best 10.5:1. Your heads aren't helping you at all BTW, however, if the combo does drive that much compression, you need to kill it with cam and it's only going to sound good, it won't run that hard.

This is one case where I personally wouldn't sell you a cam, I'd recommend you look up lobes in the comp catalog for solid rollers, going to need a lobe at 288 advertised intake, a little more on the exhaust, on 108 centers, installed straight up. As much as I want to help, and I do understand creative budget builds,i t's a combo I'd probably try to talk you out of. A set of good flat tops and a set of heads, you could likely make more power with much less cam

I think I'm going to stay away from the solid roller and just go with a solid flat tappet but going to stay with cam choice lift and duration not trying to be the top man just want my old school sound I just love the sound of a good 289.. like I said just a play thing not for competition.no boost no additives. I really don't care about how fast it is or how much horsepower it has probably never see a dyno. I'm the one that will be Happy.. But Thanks for your advice if it makes you go fast go for it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to stay away from the solid roller and just go with a solid flat tappet but going to stay with cam choice lift and duration not trying to be the top man just want my old school sound I just love the sound of a good 289.. like I said just a play thing not for competition.no boost no additives. I really don't care about how fast it is or how much horsepower it has probably never see a dyno. I'm the one that will be Happy.. But Thanks for your advice if it makes you go fast go for it
The TRW pistons are L2249

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
I did a quick WAG, assuming a 289 crank and a block cut .010, with heads at 56cc and a .041 head gasket with that piston you'd be .006 below and 11.56:1 compression

The good thing is you have good gear and converter and a light vehicle, so if not trying to get every bit out of it, may as well go choppy and have fun.

The issue of course is I have to eat my words, with the combo you have you need a lot of advertised duration, not a lot of .050 and not a lot of lift. Which really is an old school cam. The closest I get in a catalog is: Crower Pro-Street Performance Level 4 Camshafts 15322

But I think it's too much cam for a 289, and even then you have to retard it which makes it more fussy

The Holman Moody 882, is also an old school option, but it's going to be ornery

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a quick WAG, assuming a 289 crank and a block cut .010, with heads at 56cc and a .041 head gasket with that piston you'd be .006 below and 11.56:1 compression

The good thing is you have good gear and converter and a light vehicle, so if not trying to get every bit out of it, may as well go choppy and have fun.

The issue of course is I have to eat my words, with the combo you have you need a lot of advertised duration, not a lot of .050 and not a lot of lift. Which really is an old school cam. The closest I get in a catalog is: Crower Pro-Street Performance Level 4 Camshafts 15322

But I think it's too much cam for a 289, and even then you have to retard it which makes it more fussy

Thank you for your reply I have a C90Z camshaft with only .477 lift and 290 duration. I might try this first and go from there I'm retired going thru late life wants and something for the grandkids as well. being retired I need to keep spending down. You have given me some great advice for that I'm Thankful

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Thank you for your reply I have a C90Z camshaft with only .477 lift and 290 duration. I might try this first and go from there I'm retired going thru late life wants and something for the grandkids as well. being retired I need to keep spending down. You have given me some great advice for that I'm Thankful
Sounds like a logical plan. 290 duration you will likely need it at 110 intake centerline to be able to run on pump fuel, race with additive or race fuel, either that or add water injection. With 62 degrees of overlap, it will have some sound to it but not be radical. I'd say worth a start. If you need lifters, may want to consider a Crower or equiv with an EDM hole. Safe insurance nowadays and lets you run spring pressure that will let it run upstairs

·
Registered
564 Posts

Ross ,
The H&M 882 IS the C7Fe LeMans cam , samwe as the TRW TP109 the OP had/has.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The C9OZ-C is the same as the TRW TP108 , a virtual copy of a C3OZ-C Hi Po solid but for hyd lifters. This was to be a "hotter" 351W cam but it wouldn't pass emissions so it couldn't be a "production" offering. Sold in the Ford Muscle Parts program. [email protected] .050 and .480 actual lift. It is streetable but the 2249 piston is too much compression for 93 octane pump gas with this cam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts