Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
well...some have.
few days before christmas last year a chp was chasing down an acura down the I-5 grapevine north of LA when he went off the road at well over 100 mph. chp figures 135 or so. copper was dead at the scene.

I saw the patrol car at a tow yard later that week. bout made me sick. couldn't tell from looks it was a ford. it had impacts and scrapes from every direction on every body panel. entire front body panels and suspension was off. roof and lower body was angled to the passenger side around 50*. had a 2' blood splatter on the roof above the drivers door. drove around in a daze after that.

fast is cool, but man...

·
Premium Member
34,880 Posts
or a helicopter! Sorry to hear he lost his life chasing some idiot! THat deeply saddens me! Police need soem Speed Racer car tricks in times like that... You know, like some big a$$ pincers that come out of the fromt end and grab the car in front of you... Cool stuff like that, and maybe the big old saw blade for whacking through forests and whatnot...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
On 2006-04-07 09:17, FEandGoingBroke wrote:
You know, like some big a$$ pincers that come out of the fromt end and grab the car in front of you... Cool stuff like that, and maybe the big old saw blade for whacking through forests and whatnot...
why does Death Race 2000 come to mind
or James Bond.
They need a inforcement Truck and Tractor rig with a low bed so they can't go under it for this and just park it across the road way
Tim

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-04-07 09:33, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
why does Death Race 2000 come to mind
or James Bond.
They need a inforcement Truck and Tractor rig with a low bed so they can't go under it for this and just park it across the road way
Tim
Contrary to most ricer movies, a car can't drive under a normal truck trailer... even the GT40 was 40" tall, and those truck tires aren't that big, and that's totall ignoring the frame rails underneath... That does sound like a good idea though, every major police dpt. needs to have a 'roadblock' big rig

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Death is Too serious. for such a entertainting post.

Or...maybe they should stop the chase when it gets too dangerous. There is a (or should be) some recognition of when to pull off a chase.

It not always the Bad guy or the Cop that suffers during a chase.

Not advocating not chasing down bank robbers and murderers or possibly those suspected of major crimes. But, speeders, in traffic...It seems more like a "prey" driven chase than good police work. I feel for the Cop and especailly his family that was left behind. But I'd feel even worse to know that either the crazed fleeing speeder or the pursuing officer had hit a family in a minivan on the way to school or church.

In my opinion, it's not worth an innocent life to catch a speeder or felon. Its always a calculated risk to speed on an open road...gotta know when to fold'em.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 4/8/06 1:13am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Ya'll know of course I just have to get into this discussion.

I agree with beowolf. I have had two pursuits where I was not only the primary officer, but ALONE. One lasted minutes and ended when the juveniles crashed the Dodge Neon straight into a big tree, got out, and ran off. The second was fast, furious, and terrifying. It started as a traffic stop that went from sugar to sh** in minutes. I called for another unit, but he took off backwards to elude me and almost hit a girl doing it. Only because of that, did I chase him and wouldve chased him to the next state if need be. Average speed; 100mph. I thank GOD no one was hit. The citizens in my opinion did a great job just sitting still and letting the chase happen. We caught both in the car after it slammed into a building at a corner. I happened across the driver's eyes peeking at me from behind some bushes. One of the closest times I have come to squeezing the trigger. Yeah, just like on the wild police chases shows. The car was stolen, drugs in vehicle, driver was wanted on car theft charges in Georgia.
Here is the thing. After all that risk to myself, and all the others around me, I recieved reports that after extradition to Georgia, the driver returned to my city and state, approx ONE YEAR LATER. Which means, his sentence was very light. Now, I will only chase when I am the back up officer, for the sake of the primary officer, and I will only chase if it was a violent crime. Otherwise, a short pursuit and then reevaluation. I have no problem backing off, in fact I'm happy to do it. It saves me, him, and more importantly the families in the minivans. I will not chase because the justice handed out as a result is not good risk versus reward. If it was we could use the police chase as an effective means to actually keep our communities safe, as of right now, it is less of a deterant and more of a reckless nuisance.
That is my feedback from an officers view. In the meantime, always keep vigilant of what if going on around you my friends. Loud stereos and exhaust systems are fun, but they should never be an obstacle to your senses so you can hear the sirens then see the lights. Stay safe.

·
Registered
698 Posts
chasing taillights...sheesh! it's not really even worth it chasing real bad guys. foolishly did it myself chasing an armed robber. luckily it was around 3 am with little traffic out. went flat out for 4 miles before he crashed. going so fast I didn't have time to look at the speedo. scared me so bad I couldn't kick his ass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.