Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching through junkyards in Eastern PA, pulling axle shafts from both 7.5 and 8.8 rears. I ran across a couple of rears today, that I just cant figure out how to get apart. Normally its a breeze to remove C-clips and pull an axle shaft...just pop the cover, remove the bolt that holds the cross-pin in place, then remove the cross-pin. The axles can then be pushed inward, giving the necessary clearance to remove the clips. Normally, the bolt that retetains the cross-pin runs straight through the pin, into the other side of the carrier. I tried toremove 2 or 3 of these bolts today, and found that they were real short, about 1/3 the length of the normally used bolt. The entire bolt is also threaded, unlike the usual ones that only a portion of the bolt threaded and the rest is like a pin. The cross-pin is still being held in place by something after I unscrew the shorter bolt, from the carrier assembly. Can some one tell me how to go about getting the cross-pin out, for the carriers that have the shorter bolt holding the pin in place? I am sure that there is still some kind of pin keeping it in place but there is no way to get access to it...or is there? I hope some one will know what the heck I am talking about. As always, Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had an 8.8 that i bought from a junkyard for its disc brake setup. Upon removing the bolt i realized that the shaft would not move. My dad and I literally had to take turns beating it out with a 15 pound sledge hammer and hardened steel pin. When we finally removed it we could see the rear had been abused and the shaft was warped and the gears had been eating into it.That is just my experience though. What were you looking for in all those rears?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68stang5.0 on 4/12/02 12:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason Im pulling all these axles is because the 79-86 V8 Mustangs and 87-93 4- cylinders were a 4-lug pattern from factory. Im replacing my 4-lugs with 5-lug axles. Im pulling a bunch of extra sets to sell, to make a little extra cash, to pay for some work on my 289 heads.

·
Registered
359 Posts
how much are you tring to sell a set of 5 lugs for I can't find **** for rims to fit my 4 lugs and somehow slicks don't fit on stock 15x7

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually listing them on e-bay. They usually go for about $90-$100 for a set. But instead of buying them for that kind of price, why not get yours right out of the junk yard? For the "poormans conversion", heres what your looking for...
Ford Ranger or Bronco II 83-92 left (drivers side) only from a 4 cylinder or a 3.0L V6 with a 7.5" rear ***CAUTION*** you cant use the axle shaft from the 4.0L Ranger, since they have larger 10" drums w/ wider 8.8" rear. unless you want to swap to a 10" rear brake assy.

...or the passenger side axle shaft from a 86-97 Aerostar van
For front 5 lug rotor conversions you can use 4-cylinder 83-88 front rotors from a Ranger this is a direct swap and wont require any modifications like swapping to larger brakes. Hope this helps you out and saves you some cash.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The reason the the bolt is too short is because the locating pin end has snapped off. A very common problem with a C-clip rear, both chevy and ford. Not hard to get out if you don use a 15 lb sledge. A pick and a little air pressure, and it will generally spin out. Bring an air tank with an air nozzle on the end next time you go to the junk yard, blow into the cross pin bore of the diff, and spin the broken end of the pin as if unscrewing it, it will generally catch the threads, and you can spin it right out of the diff. This is definitely NOT an occasion to get a larger hammer!!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking that it looked like the pin had bkoken off but I wasnt really sure. The break looked just too clean. I thought it was something a little more complicated, since I found three of them like that. I will have to try that. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts