Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1964 Falcon with stock suspension I currently have 205/70r14 which are 25.3" in D, 8.0" in W which I want to replace to upgrade brakes. Tire size 245/50r17 are 26.65" in D, 9.65" in W. I have more than an inch of clearance currently on both the inner and outer side of my current tire and rim combo. Assuming correct backspacing it appears a 17x7 or 17x8 rim and 245/50r17 wheel and tire combo should fit unless I am missing some factor. The Ridler 650 wheel in a 17x7 size with 4" backspacing is what I am looking at.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not so much tire's width being an issue, but the tire's sidewall width rubbing on something. This can be controlled by using wider wheels/rims. A 8" rim will make it bulge less then a 6" will. Remember also going around turns the tires will flex some to the sides.
If you do, and I don't see why you can't, go to the bigger tires, make sure and check the fender well and all around it for sharp edges and any metal lips sticky out that could cut your tires.
Most places will also let you test fit the rim only, without a tire on it, to see how the offset lines up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Give thius site a look. It might help with figuring if you can squeeze that rubber in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts