Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nice! On your way with an almost stock 5.0L HO and 11's. Gotta love it. How are you controlling timing? I bet you're just hitting 3rd gear at the traps, and you need much lower - or a bit higher - gears to trap at the top of 3rd or 2nd gear. Which way are you going to go?

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
sweet man, looked like she left straight n quick,Sounded like the R's dipped a little after u shifted into second though otherwise awesome man

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nice. Yeah, anybody's crappy aftermarket heads will put a stock block turbo 5.0 fox into the 10s. Have you run a plot on your compressor map to verify you can push the greater volume at the same pressure at reasonable shaft RPMS?

David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
OK I just checked on your combo and ran the numbers. Your .60 AR compressors should be fine up to ~15 psig with TW 185s, at which point you'll have had to face other issues from excessive power anyway. ;)

David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Yes, but your wastegates will compensate to run the same manifold pressure. It's the belt-drive superchargers that see the pressure loss without a pulley change, yet better power at the lower boost level. So, I would suggest dropping to 6-7 psig so you can re-tune to the new flow. You'll probably get to push timing up a few degrees as well with those heads, but tuning will tell. Check your plugs religiously on the return road if you have a pullout spot until you get dialed-in. Are you using more octane (fuel blend) at the track and 10 pounds or pump gas?

David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Don't forget it's easy to get gasket and seal leaks with boost and the higher cylinder pressure if your breather system can't get the excess crankcase pressure out. A remote oil vapor separator (catch can) is the word of the day if you don't already have one, along with a positive-sealing PCV valve to prevent boost pressure from blowing into the crankcase. SuperCoupe PCV valves (Fram FV315) are an inexpensive example.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Already got a turbo t-bird PCV valve on it now and am way ahead of you on upgrading the system via catch can etc. ;)
we turbo thunderbird guys would install a one way check valve in the pcv line from a chrysler van brake booster when running more than factory boost. the pcv's would just leak almost regardless.

I so want to do this with my 65.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually have done away with the PCV valve and just ran vents on both valve covers after having to switch to tall covers in order to clear the 1.7:1 rockers (no girdles) I have a few friends that have the same setup and this has worked well for them so I adapted it. Still working the bugs out of the new combo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts