Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I know that most of us out there, like myself, are yet to do this! But I was wondering since im going to be replacing the springs/bushings/rims on the back of the mustang how much it costs to tub it out? I was thinking about tubbing it and then running it with my regualar 9" and wheels I already have for a while until I shorten the 9 and get some 15x15 autodrags. Anyone know how much its costs?
Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fastback68 on 6/29/02 11:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. I didnt think it would be so high. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Yes, it costs a ton of money to have a shop do it, due to the time involved. I was quoted about 5K for my Falcon, and that quickly disabused me of that idea. You would be surprised how wide a rear tire you can fit by moving the springs inboard and widening the stock wheel wells. I think Greg Cook did that on his Galaxie, where he added about 3" between the two halves of the stock wheel tubs. It looks very clean and stock looking when looking at it from the trunk.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Unless you have the exact wheels & tires you are planning on usiong do not even start tubbing a car.
I have done 5 cars and the last time was my own doing the original work over again. I had 2 sets of wheels & tires to use for sizing. Now that I have my own on, I wish the housing was an inch wider on each side.
Different wheel offsets and bigger tire bulge will mess you up more than you would think.
The job is not hard to do but some mechanical smarts with some fabrication skills are required. Equipment and a place to work are important too.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I hate that! I had a friend that's a really good welder do one for me, drove it in & it now has wheel spacers because he got the frame too wide!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I did my own also and its a lot of work and money even doing it your self and yes the wheels and tires are a must to have first. I had to buy a new set of wheels cause the wheels that came with the rear end had too much offset in them went from 7 BS tp 4 BS worked out great.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Thanks Hank its taking me a while now to get it back going after this last round of mods.
I probley would have drove it last year if i wouldnt have twisted the input shaft in the four speed trans. It just made me start the mustang II steer in it sooner.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yes, all that tubbing and race type suspesion stuff is real expensive to do!

Even doing it yourself still costs big bucks to do it right.

I used to keep all the receipts for money I spent on the Falcon but,I stopped doing that now and I just shread them.

As long as you have fun with the car you can justify the cost as "entertainment" I would be gettin into so much trouble if my cars did'nt keep me so busy!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We did my 90 stang for right at $3500(everything). And that's with my axle filled with all new Moser, ladder bars, adjustable proma stars, axle brace, Weld wheels, slicks, etc....... Thank God my dads a welder.

It only cost $100 to tub the "car" $85 to rent a cutting torch and $15 for a 4X8 sheet of steel.

Scott

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It cost me 1500 for a 34.5-inch flange to flange with all strange stuff in it aluminum center section 486 spool 35 spline 5/8 studs weld wheels 14 on 15 200 for the frame rails 75 for the frame connectors 300 for shocks and springs 400 for a custom gas tank 25 battery box 75 for the steel tube kit 375 for the 12 point roll cage and if I through in the welder I had to buy to do it 1240 grand total 4115 give or take a couple of hundred. but thats with adding the roll cage also. Then if i payed someone to put it in it would be another 3 gs Minimum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts