Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
65 Ranchero, left turn signal does not cancel, but the right one does. So, I thought this would be a simple fix, right? I pull off the wheel and I don't really recognize what is there. I see the part with the canceling tabs, but it is riveted to a bigger piece that the shaft for the steering wheel goes through. My local auto parts store has the piece with the canceling tabs, but I dont get how it would come apart from the other piece. AND, there are a ton of wires coming from it. One 2 wire connector makes sense, I assume those are for the two blinkers, but there is another connector that has like 7 wires. Why would I need that many wires? Right blinker, left blinker and a horn! Why so many wires? Is there a part number i can be pointed to?

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are horn wires in there too. 65 is different than my 64 but i had a 65 a few years ago and i think the two with the spring buttons may be the horn wires. Hang on ,some body will know for sure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I replaced this part on mine years ago. You have to seperate the cam from the rest of the assembly by prying off the spring nut on the pivot shaft. It is a pain in the rear and be careful not to damage it too much. If your replacement kit includes the retainer you might be able to cut the old one off with a small pair of side cutters. I soldered the wires and used heat shrink tubing on mine. All those wires go to the front and rear bulbs plus the flasher. You'd think there was a simpler way to do the switching but that was 1965. If you need a wiring diagram, I've included it below. the job isn't difficult, just tedious.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. BlueBird, I think I know what you mean, I will go look at my part and see if it is more clear. I haven't bought the replacement yet, I got cold feet when I went to the store and saw the part as just the cam piece.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
You may want to check with Melvins Classic Ford parts or Autocrafters.

I bought one for a 64 Fairlane and it was a complete assy wires and all. But that was several years ago.

Jet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. My local Kragen Auto had the piece I thought was right. Per BlueBird's advice, I broke off the retaining ring holding the old cam on the lower part and then realized that the piece I bought it not correct on the backside (underside). So, I must continue to look. I put everything back together and now continuing my search for the correct part.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
65-66 Mustangs should be the same. The Falcon is readily available from the vendors.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The part that Bluebird listed appears to be the right part. I have seen that part listed as an SM-9 on some vendors site. By the way the one in your pic on the left has the end of the reset leg broken off. That side won't reset as you have discovered.

R

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I got one from Dearborn Classics. Probably could have found one locally, but I was not in a hurry. I installed it and the new one seems to 'catch' as the wheel goes past the cancel point. It does this even when the blinker is not activated. Hmmm, guess I need to pull the wheel again and see if its hanging up a bit.

Appreciate all the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LEEPS, I also own a 65 Ranchero, and completed this same project yesterday. Here are some tips.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the horn ring assembly, and the horn spring.

2. Remove the steering wheel. You will see two 1inch long "fingers"
sticking out of the lower steering wheel hub. Those "fingers must be on the same side as the new turn signal switch you installed. They trip the switch to the nuetral position as they pass. Ensure the steering shaft bearing retaining plate is underneath the new switch you installed, and the new switch is seated properly. Check that the scews securing the switch to the plate are all the way in. Easy does it here, snug is good enough.

3. Re-install the steering wheel. Be sure to use a drop of red loctite in the steering wheel retaining nut threads. Reinstall the horn spring and horn ring assembly. Reconnect the battery and test the horn and turn signal switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my late father in laws 65 ranchero and had problems with the right rear turn signal not working, seemed to be something bad in the turn signal switch. The old one never cancelled and I just thought maybe this car didn't to that but it is a cancelling switch. My question is what makes it cancel? I think I'm missing a part that actually trips the arms in the turn signal when the wheel is turned. There's a slot on the hub that doesn't do anything with how I have it setup now that seems is probably used to hold that but I can't find the part anywhere. The closest thing I found that might be it is in the last picture but no idea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts