Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I was hoping I could get a little help with my 65 Fairlane.

The other day I went out to my car after work and the turn signals no longer worked. The indicator lights on the dash didn't light up, the flasher didn't click and the lights outside didn't light up either. I figured the flasher had finally died and I bought a new one. I installed the new one I got at a hardware store and it worked fine, but after driving around for about half an hour it stopped working again.

I bought yet another flasher and installed it, but it doesn't work at all. My brake lights and parking lights work. My multimeter says the fuse is getting power to both sides and the flasher is also getting power. At this point it looks like my turn signal switch is broken.

Before I blow $45 on a new switch, am I right? Most people saying their switch was broken also had broken brake lights, which I don't. I also thought it was suspiscious that the new flasher worked briefly before all of this. I just want some confirmation or other possible tests before I spend a lot of money.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Started it today, the newest flasher I bought now works, but the signals are a bit slow and tentative and I don't expect it'll last long either. I also saw one single spark come from somewhere under the dash and I shut the car off once I saw that. No wires were obviously melted, so I started it again and it seemed okay.
Today I took a closer look and it looks like the plug on the back of the ignition melted around the black wire that goes to the post on the switch slightly. Not sure what this means. Kind of worrying as this car is my daily driver.
Is it possible I hooked the flasher up backwards and it could cause this? I have it hooked up the way it was originally working, but I might have accidentally switched them. If anyone could tell me if the orange wire goes to the X or L post on the flasher, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent short somewhere in the system to me. I recently found one in my '67 wagon. The main harness bundle had dropped when the clip supporting it snapped. It landed on a screw coming up from below and cut into two wires shorting them to each other and back to ground.

I had issues with the turn signals as well, but I also had a problem where the dash lights and running lights turned on when I had the ignition turned on. I had to pull the dash apart to located it, but the fix was a piece of cake and completely eliminated any issues.

Good luck with your hunt!

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

1 - 3 of 3 Posts