Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Reposted to All-Ford Tech, as it's not necessarily Falcon Specific

My falcon's been sitting for a couple weeks while I fixed a leaky exhaust manifold and did a little wiring work. Wiring still in-progress, but wanted to check the exhaust leak.

Things were fine in the "ON" position, but as soon as I kicked it over to "START", it everything went dead. No starter action or anything; basically like a blown fuse.

After that, "ON" and "ACC" are dead, as well.

According to my wiring diagram, there are like 3 fuses for the whole car, and no "main" fuse as seen in newer cars. Battery still has voltage, but the starter/ignition switch basically does nothing now. It was midnight when this all went down, so I quit for the night, so I didn't get a chance to prod up to the contacts on the back of the starter switch to double-check voltage there.

I'm assuming it's a bad starter switch...is there anything else it could be?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bad starter switch [ solenoid ] will normally click when you try to start. You may have a bad ignition switch.:) JIM

·
Registered
698 Posts
Might be your Voltage Regulator. little black box with the postiive lead of the battery going to it then wires coming off the other side of it, mine is on the shock tower on the battery side.

Mine went bad 2 years ago. Turn key and nothing. I tried jump starting it and nothing. Thought might be starter or regulator, or battery. So I bought a battery, not it, but now I have an Optima in it :) I bought the other two just in case, started with regulator, and tada. Swapped it and the baby fired right up.

I would check your voltage regulator on opposite side of battery to see if your getting voltage to that side. Try it in both keyd and keyd off positions

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted in the other thread...all cleared up.

Turns out to be really really dumb: cruddy battery terminal and cables. Cleaned 'em up, everything working like it should be.

Also, I replaced the voltage regulator a couple months ago...was getting a "gen" light that got brighter with RPM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts