Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in lieu of doing an upgrade to the v8, which is impractical for a lot of reasons, I am considering getting a less wheezy straight six to rebuild and drop it into my 66 coupe.

I understand that the 200 ci engine that is in the car now cannot be significantly improved in performance because of a narrow, welded in intake manifold. I have been advised that a later Ford six will not have this deficiency, so my first question is does anyone have a specific suggestion of WHICH straight six I should choose?

Second, does anyone know how best to go about finding said engine? Should I be looking in junk yards? Is a parts car the best option? Where the heck am I going to find this engine? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, which hopefully will not include "Just put in a V-8."

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The later L6's still have the intake log. It evolved over the years and enlarged over time. The 144/170/200 share the same dimensions. The 200 has a lot of potential.

There is also the 250 which will also bolt in but is taller. You would likely have issues using a stock air cleaner but some have done clever intake plumbing to overcome this.

Classic Inlines has been making a nice aluminum head for the small block six. Check them out at Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home.

The 200 can also be woken up with a cheap turbo setup.

And then there is the old Offy triple carb setup. That is a cool looking setup that is still available from Summit. Offenhauser 5205 - Offenhauser Triple Manifold Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Acountis, you have one choice of abotu 4 years of Engines to choose from

The 69-73 Ford Maverick, Mustang, Comet and Falcon 200 had the larger diameter log head.

All others are identical, the mid to late 70's 200 heads are crap also in my opinion.

69 is my favorite year for 200 engines for they shared a fairly large log head like the 250, but without the added deck height the 250 had that forces you to use shorter air cleaners ect..., plus it's a 250 not a 200.

I am a firm believer that my 200 will whoop ass on abotu 92% of all the 250 CI I-6 Fords in the entire world!

There are cheap places for power but they're expensive now day's....

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Additionally, there are NO Ford small block I 6 motors better that perform better than the 200 CI version.

There are TWO stronger units, one made PRIOR to the 60's and one invented later and they are the 240 I-6 and the 300 I-6. Both are Larger and ore powerful than the 200 but the 200 is the simplest and easiest to install.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
wrecking yard or on Craigslist...

You don't need the entire engine if you have a 200 already, you just need the head.

And if you're pushed to making some power, use a 250 Integral head (larger log delivers more air) available in many mavericks Fairmonts and Granada's etc... The 250 head, good flowing exhaust, a 2V adapter or the 3 X 1 setup that Offenhauser makes here---
Offenhauser Triple Manifold 5205 Intake Manifold Ford I-6 Fits Stock Heads | eBay

Then get some 2.3L ford flat top pistons to up your compression...

Or use some big money and buy the newly designed 200 All aluminum head made by Clifford performance or someone, and that give you all sorts of possibilities for power and carb combo.

Things like that. You can be at 150 HP in no time. Even more if you go see what others have done with their SBF I-6 and BBF I-6 Fords over at fordsix.com

allofcraigslist.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Or use some big money and buy the newly designed 200 All aluminum head made by Clifford performance or someone, and that give you all sorts of possibilities for power and carb combo"

I've thought about this, but as I understand it, this would only be a $2000 first step, right, because the changing of the head itself wouldn't improve performance significantly, only allow you to go crazy with the carb, etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.