Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Yahoo! I made page 17 of the December issue of Car Craft. I know it's only "Reader Rides", but ...

2) I had the unit at the end of my starter replaced. The clanging went away. So, it is not sliding back to hit the flywheel anymore. But the "turbine" sound is still there. I can hear it when the car is running and it slows down with the egine when I turn the engine off. I have already spent $70 to get it to where it is now. My wife will shoot me if I have to come up with another chunk of money.

Any ideas on what might be causing that noise (I know you can't hear it).

·
Registered
581 Posts
If I remember correctly, this all started when you changed the generator. Try running it with the generator belt off. If the noise is still there it's possible that the starter drive is not disengaging from the flywheel after the engine starts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The term "clutch" has come up in conversation before. Something tells me that before I get this resolved, I will conclude that it would have been cheaper to just buy a new starter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pasvorto on 10/7/06 1:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
1) Congrats

2) Let a real mechanic look at and listen to it and stop guessing and throwing money at it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear that

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
As to your #1. Congradulations.

I have had one of my cars show up in Hot Rod, Rod and Custom and whatever over the years also. I don't subscribe to any of them any more, so I always waited until some friend told me of such, before I would go down to the supermarket a buy a copy. One thing to which did not like was that the magazines of the Petersen group tended to get the I.D. of the car wrong, mispell my name other things. Always wondered how the postman found my mailbox with the issue.

Wm.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bro-in-law's car was in last year. He lives in Minnesota. The caption said he was from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, at least the two places are within the same time zone so that should count.

One caption of my car at the drags said it was seen competing at Bonneville a few weeks earlier. Now, a long distance car and a short distance car are of different construction usually.

Wm.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is FIXED!!!!! I feel like a father whose child's fever has just broken.

I started it. It was making the "turbine" noise. I drove it down to my bro-in-law's house to let him listen. He is way more mechanic than I. Anyway, he listened and summized that it was the starter and I should take it back to the guy who replaced the shaft motor. He had me start it one more time. He pulled one of the wires on thre starter relay(the two connected to the 2 small studs on the front), no change. He pulled the other, the noise stopped! I shut it off, he hooked it back up, I restarted, the noise returned. He pulled it off and the noise went away. I said, "Don't tell me I put those wires on backwards!?" I shut it off, he switched the wires, I started it. No noise! I drove it around town. It was putting out 13.8 volts!

LIFE IS GOOD! (and I feel like a fool)

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
Cool on making car craft! Readers rides or not your car is still in print for many to see.

Always nice when it's a simple fix and no dollars involved! We all have our finer moments.

As for mags the November issue of Ol' Skool Rodz has an article of a cool pic and there is a pic of the gas station (only one in town) in Boron CA. I was looking through it and said hey, I know that impala, wait, I know that truck too then realize I even knew that gas station. lol

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 10/10/06 4:53am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts