Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my falcon has a 289 engine. I’m hearing a typewriter sound from the driver side cylinder. I removed the valve cover. The cylinder head has a 351 number on it. The passenger cylinder head shows the same thing.

What makes that typewriter sound?
How do I fix it?

Will the 351 heads be ok on a 289?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Typewriter sounds, check out the lifters and valves. You could also check for an exhaust leak, which should be easier than lifters and valves. The 351 heads were a common performance upgrade for the 289 using 69 - 70 heads, from what I've been told.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
351 heads on a 289 ... it runs doesnt it ? done right is another question

loose rocker, bent/wrong push rods , worn lifters or just need correct adjustment , with 351W heads , could mean a few different thing as to adjustment

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Or somebody installed a solid lifter cam in it. Either way it does sound like a valve adjustment or it could be exhaust leak. Is it a constant ticking sound or more random like it's only happening on one cylinder? You can also pull the plugs to see if one is obviously running different to narrow it down.

John

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hey guys, my falcon has a 289 engine. I’m hearing a typewriter sound from the driver side cylinder. I removed the valve cover. The cylinder head has a 351 number on it. The passenger cylinder head shows the same thing.

What makes that typewriter sound?
How do I fix it?

Will the 351 heads be ok on a 289?
You are going to have to narrow the noise down to which cylinder and diagnose from there.

The 351W heads (early D0OE) are fine if the swap was done correctly.

Do you see any Casting ID Nos. on them?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checking back:

had an exhaust leak. i tightend the exhaust flange bolts.
let the car idle and adjusted the rocker arms. the car sounds alot better then before.

65FalconLover:
there wasnt a specific tick at one cylinder. just the entire driverside sounded like a type writer.

DanH: the car ran/runs. properly? well the a$$ clown who put this car together probably stepped infront of a moving bus then attempted to operate on this thing b4 he sold it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Unless the previous owner installed pop up pistons or had the heads severely milled the 351 heads will kill your compression on a 289.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts