Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would the u bolts holding the driveshaft to the rearend vibrate loose? My dad took the car driving and was doing good then started making sounds like the u joint was bad. I got under there and the was a little play in the bolts like it came loose. I tightened up and they have cam lose again after 5 miles of driving, notting gettin on it just normal driving. The bolts go fluch with the nuts when tightened. Do you think i would need longer u bolts and maybe self locking nuts or some lock washers? Could it be a out of balance driveshaft causing it? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No its not shaking but the bolts do not come through the nuts but oinly flush with them. Evrything goes good for a bit the when it down shifts you hear that eiry noise like your driveshafts about to fall out but the u joint is good. Just bolts coming loose.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Should have nuts with lock washer on them. If you dont have any then like the guy said loctite.

60 Falcon Prostreeter
97 f150 tow vehicle
2002 Explore the wifes

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coolfalcon on 6/26/02 9:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it aint that. The nuts were tight i was just going on a hunch that they had come loose again. Another ? Should all four caps have a clip on them?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
only the two caps in the driveshaft should have clips. Is this the correct driveshaft for the car? Has the u-joint been replaced lately? Might be the wrong u-joint cup size if so.

JMHO, I would get some new u-bolts also, with new nuts. Some are self locking and if they have been removed a number of times, the self locking doesn't hold as tite.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We bought a new one then after maybe 20 miles of driving the u joint fell out so we had to get a new one. I know the clips go on the caps for the 2 that actually go into the driveshaft but the 2 caps that actually bolt in have places for the 2 clips that are way bigger than the driveshaft clips. Those will go on the 2 caps that bolt up. Do you think thats why it clanks like its about to fall out?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
U-joints are made to fit various type of yokes. Some yokes use inside clips, some yokes use outside clips. Some u-joints come with both sets of clips since the u-joint can be used at either end of the driveshaft for some applications. Do not put any clips on the cups that fit the rear end yoke. If you still have the old u-joint and cups measure the diameter and compare it to your new joint and cups. Measure the distance across opposing cups also.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would make it sound like its about to fall out? We took it out and everything looks fine. We had to ordeer a new one though as we have a couple of dogs that like to carry stuff away and carried a cap off. Does it matter which way the u bolts go in? One way a little bit of bolt hangs off the cap and if you flip it around it puts the excess toward the inner space on the cap. Do you think this could do it? Are there special u bolts and somewhere to get them? The ones i have now are flatened on the part that goes on the u joint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.