Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Ok I know I shoulden't have gotten so greedy, but I went too wide when grinding out the pinch in the intake port, so now there's daylight coming therought the port wall from the pushrod tube. I know, not good. With some brain storming I've figured I can sleeve the pushrod hole with a section of thin brass tube. I have a piece thats pretty much a press-fit, but i'm wondering what I can use to secure the tube in place. Will JB weld hold up, how about some solder? since it is a intake port, heat should not be too high, it would just have to be resistant to the fuel vapors. Help me please...

·
Registered
109 Posts
i would use the epoxy that is used to fill exhaust port floors, cover the area with the sleeve in there and i would think it would be good to go

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be cool, What is the stuff called and where can I find it?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Why not use the green loc-tite sleeve retainer? It is what machine shops use when they sleeve blocks. It is available in the teeny tubes. Won't need much.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Sleeving the pushrod holes is the 'proper' way to do it. Locking the sleeves in place with some sort of adhesive or epoxy would be a good idea.

Personally, I've always fixed places I've ground through with JB-Weld. If the hole is very large at all, a piece of metal screen can be laid across the hole to help with integrity. If you use JB-Weld, it helps to apply it to BOTH sides of the crack or hole. That way, it is held from both sides, which would make the chances of it coming loose very unlikely.

Repairs to exhaust ports are different since there is a LOT more heat to deal with. I have seen epoxies out lately that are supposed to work in temperatures approaching 2400 degrees, but have not had to test them.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts