Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some rust repair to do under my 1968 Mustang Conv. I think I need to replace the rear frame rails and some other pieces. I am hoping someone knows where I can get a video or a good detailed book about how this is done.

Thank you
Jim N

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Its super simple and if you order your rails from the Paddock they have a nice swedged area on the rail to slide into the old ones. Basically measure, leave a few inches left over for the new to slide into, and cut ..when you install the new rail mock it up with self taping screws and check your shackle alingment (with the front of the spring still attached to the box) and be sure there at the same angle as they were before (make a note of the angle before you remove the old rails on the shackle I used an angle finder). Then use the self tappers to screw the rail to the new floor or old if used and check everythign once again, Weld er up and pull out the self tappers and plug weld the holes shut, this will retain the floor to the rails as well .

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Also you can look at Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony and Eastwood's websites and find some good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it best to use a mig or a tig for this kind of work? I am thinking of buying but only want to buy one.
Is there a blowup that shows where all of the underbody pieces goes on the car?

Thank you all
Jim N

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it best to use a mig or a tig for this kind of work? I am thinking of buying but only want to buy one.
Is there a blowup that shows where all of the underbody pieces goes on the car?

Thank you all
Jim N

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
mig welder will be just fine i used a century with gas shield on mine pretty non expensive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts