Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a factory fitting? I think it is a light for when the door is open on my 64. It has a black wire with blue stripe. The bulb is just floating in the bracket, not sure how it is meant to be retained.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
That looks like the right light. Take the bulb out and slip the bracket off the wire then press the fingers into the back side of bracket.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D'oh! It took me ages to figure that out....even with your instructions.

Seems weird an uncovered bulb blaring away, without a cover.

I wonder if I can get a coloured bulb or something to soften that light down?

·
Registered
249 Posts
It goes on the dome light circuit, so it's made to be bright when the doors are opened. If you plug it into the wrong port/circuit it may always be on. Don't want that! :) Which hole are you guys threading it into? I have about 11 holes under my dash.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which hole? One near the middle of the dash, i want to hide the bulb where I cant see it though, its too bright on my eyes

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Might be able to use a smaller candlepower bulb, but sometimes can't get it in there due to the fingers getting in the way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Like what was already mentioned, the socket should snap into the bracket from the back side. That puts the bulb up higher so it is less visible. If it's still too bright use a lower wattage bulb. A #90 bulb is lower wattage plus smaller size so doesn't project out as far.
R

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a day, the back of the metal fitting fell off in the parts store, my daughter and I crawling all over the floor until we found it, the soldering was harder than I thought, then i lost the spring in the grass, took me ages to find that, then the bulb filament broke. Its all fixed now though......just got to install it....

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like it bright, helps me see without a flashlight when messing with stuff in that area. But it gets pretty hot too and I hate when the darn thing burns my head! Bet I'm not the only one here to have that happen...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I installed it under the dash on a little alumium bracket I made but now it doesnt light up, guess I will need to do some more investigating.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
It should plug into a black/blue or blue/black wire (I forget) on the driver's side under the dash. There are plenty of places to plug it in, but only the wire that connects to the door switch (black/blue) with function properly (as a dome light).

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I painted mine 30 some odd years ago with orange model paint. Just recently got aggressive with it to get that bulb out of there. Still need to put one in but i want to move it over some so it lights things up better. Sure isn't much to look at is it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts