Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT ONLY HAS *0A146173* HOW CAN I TELL THE REST OF THE VIN? OR WHAT THIS CAR IS? THE VIN PLATE IS DESTROYED

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
0 is an 1970

A is built in Atlanta

14 is the body serial code and I can't find a 14 in the books I have but I don't have a 1970 book

I believe 6 is for a low compression 302 for Export only.

The following 1 means it's a Ford division car (If it was a 5 it would be a Mercury, a 7 means Lincoln)

The rest of the number is the consecutive unit number. It would mean that it is the 73,XXX Ford ordered for build in Atlanta.

Do you know what model the car actually is? or is this a total shell? Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
HMMM a Cobra should have a body serial Code 38. Is the body a "sportsroof" with the tunnel back or is it a standard "formal" roof I'm just wondering if the 14 is a 70 1/2 Falcon body serial code? and a 429 should be K N C J or P depending on the flavour.

The Falcon may account for the lo po 302 motor code?????

Stu

·
Registered
908 Posts
The last 6 digits are the unit serial number. There are no body or engine codes in that partial VIN.

Really smart decoder guys can tell by the 6 digit number what model of car it is likely to be, but I'm not one of those guys!

429 engines in 1970 and 1971 were N, C, and J only. K is a 302-2v.

Good luck,

Greg

*edit*

Forgot to mention that Kevin Marti can provide a full workup on the car with data he has compiled from Ford. That data will include everything about the car, options, color, engine, trans, etc.

Check at www.torinocobra.com for more info, those guys are really helpful.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/readerscars/showpic.php?id=963</a> " BORDER="0" WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="100">

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GregP on 6/20/06 7:43am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
GregP is correct. That is a 'vin derivative' and consists of the year/plant/and sequential. No other info is in that derivative.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
K is a 429 2V F is a 302 2V. Unless the Ford Shop manual is incorrect... Stu

·
Registered
908 Posts
No K code engine was offered in the (US) midsize in 70-71. Isee I had an unfortunate typo in my forst response! F is indeed a 302-2v.

Sorry for the mixup.

Greg

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Just a question, what body style are you working with here? And is the door tag still readable?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts