Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just bought some aluminum pulleys for his 5.0. The crank pulley is smaller than stock. Is it ok to put these on? It just doesn't seem very substantial.

Will it affect the engine rpm and or are they safe without breaking?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bd22 on 11/9/06 6:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I run the Ford Motorsport aluminum underdrive pulleys on my car and have no problems with them at all. I blast the engine to 6,500 rpms and 11's in the qtr. and cool the engine fine so I think you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats kinda why they are called underdrive pullies. Not to be sarcastic but they are going to slow the accessories down. You will get a decrease in cooling and a decrease in charging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I understand the basic concept, and the water pump pulley is actually bigger than the factory one. I was just worried about an aluminum pulley standing up to the pressure and how critical tourq. specs were during the install to prevent breakage.

I also am not sure if we can install the crank pulley, as the instructions say to unbolt the factory one, but I am uncertain if it will just unbolt or if it will require a puller. If the latter, I assume removeal of radiator, etc will be necessary.

This is my first tiem to help my son with somehting like this and I just want to make sure we get it right.

Sorry to seem so simple minded...

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
It's not simple minded to want to do the job right. What I would suggest is getting hold of the directions and going over them a few times, before heading out to the garage with your son - it prevents a lot of embarssing moments!

The big issue is changing out the alternator pulley. Most people find it very difficult to get that nut loose using hand tools. The best way, that is often suggested, is to use an air wrench, it will hit the nut with enough torque to get it loose without all the drama. Then take off the belt.

The crank pulley is what you are removing...not the dampner. The pulley is usually held on with either 3 or 4 bolts that attach it to the dampner.

Most k pulley kits have 3 pulleys. On for the crank, one for the water pump and one for the alternator....you can use them all for the full effect - or - just use part of the kit.

As far as anodized aluminum; aluminum is soft, so if the anodizing wears thru, the aluminum will wear much faster. But, they sure is purty! If they go bad on you, next time buy the steel pulley set - yes, they do make underdrive pulley kits out of steel (I have them on my SBF's - I like the stock appearance).

You can do the whole job without removing anything except the belt...but, I would not recommend it for a first timer.

Read the instuctions, practice them in your head - it'll go easy. While your in there working on the car...makes a perfect time to get to know what your kid is up too. Guys just seem to talk more when they are working on something together.

The big question: will you get a "seat-of-the-pants"-O-Meter improvement in Hp? Yes! the underdrive pulley will free up about 10% - 15% extra horsepower

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Beowolf, that makes me feel much more comfortable. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but less so toward modern systems. I'm 49. My son is 21 and this is his first car. We have had a lot of fun with it, and he refuses to let it go. I have always told him, I don't know anybody who doesn't eventually say 'I wish I had my first car back!'

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
BEOWEOLF, where can i get steel underdrive pullys fer my 351c ? this would help make me cool-

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-11-09 11:19, gchero351 wrote:
BEOWEOLF, where can i get steel underdrive pullys fer my 351c ? this would help make me cool-
351-C? You are going to have to be a little bit creative. The ones I'mn talking about are for Serpentine (one-piece) belts on 79- and up 302's. They will also fit a 351-W, either with the use of an adapter bracket or by test-fitting the right length belt.

There are two issues to deal with. First issue is whether the belt goes over or under the water pump. That determines whether it is reverse spin or not. Second issue is whether you want to convert to serpentine belt or not.

March and a few others make kits that will allow most Ford engines to run serpentine belts, but for sure with March, and I guess with the others...they are billet aluminum and run a lot more than factory stuff.

As I said, you will need to be creative to find the correct stuff for Cleveland engine. Might be some stuff from down in OZ, they kept making Cleveland engine for quite a while, they may have something off-the-shelf that solves your 351-C problem.

The below link shows some companies that have steel kits for Windsors.

http://www.mustangupgrades.net/mustangunderdrivepulleys/mustang_underdrive_pulleys.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Beoweolf, so what you're saying is, I can bump my 330hp 302 up by 50hp if I change out the pulleys. I'm now running only an alternator and waterpump.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
On 2006-11-09 19:17, retyler wrote:
Beoweolf, so what you're saying is, I can bump my 330hp 302 up by 50hp if I change out the pulleys. I'm now running only an alternator and waterpump.
I think what he meant to say was you can get up to 10-15hp.....not 10-15%
I'm hoping he meant to say that.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Maybe 10-15HP, yeah, depending on what accessories you're already running.

If it's just an alternator and a water pump, you won't gain that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts