Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today my dad and I finally got the cleveland that we had been working on for about 3 months in and running. There are just a few problems that we need to work out before it is perfect. I will get to thoes later in the post. Anyway, we took it for a test-drive, and all I can say is WOW!
Man that engine is a BEAST! I have never been in, yet drive a car with so much power. And this is with the small 550 carb! I can't wait till I bolt on the 670 avenger! We couldn't be out for long, because we just have the open headers and it sounds like a dragster
Anyway, here are the problems:
1. the black plate on the side of the transmission (c-4) I forget what it is called, is leaking. It does not look like the rebuilder put in a gasket. He said if there were any leaks that he would fix them, so that problem is covered.
2. For some reason the timing marks do not line up. It wants to run way advanced, and when we try to line them up, it runs bad and dies. Any Ideas on what is wrong?
3. After out short test drive, less than a mile, the temp was almost all the way hot. Is this because it is running advanced? There is not debris cloging the cooling holes. The carb that we are using now was tuned for a 302, so maybe it is too lean? Also we are running split fire plugs. I know thoes run hot, but are they causing this? I took one out and checked it, and it was as clean as when I first put it in. Any ideas?
After thoes problems are fixed and I get an exhaust system, it is ready for the street! Woo Hoo! I am lookig for suggestions on which muffler to go with. I want something that is loud and lets everyone know that I have something under the hood, but I don't want it to be soo loud that I get hasseled by the cops. I was thinking about flowmaster 2 chambers with 2.5 inch pipe. Will this be too loud?
Also, what would the advantages be if I got a "h" pipe put in?
Thanks for the read and please post if you have any info RE: the questions above.
Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
What did you do to the motor? if built pretty good, go 3" exhaust, 2 Cmahmer Flowmasters. That is what I have, and I think it sounds pretty good. If the motor is not built SO STRONG, I would not reccomend the 3" exhaust. I did it on the old motor, and it fell on its face for the most part. that makes it LOUD LOUD LOUD.My dad used to think it was Open Header Loud, but soon retacted those thoughts after we heard it open headers. The Cops never have hassled me. Ohh Yea, I used to have dumps under the car, I thought it was nice for a bit, but there is too much resonance (right word? Spelling?)makes all the change rattle in the car also. Also makes your man hood kind of tingly. I ran it out the sides comming straight out, infront of the tires...I think the sound is a lot better, and is nowhere near as "Base" or tingly feeling if ya know what I mean.

I think SOME glass pacs sound good as well. BORLA on new cars sound great, but not so sure on an old car such as ours...with lumpy cams.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
582 Posts
When you timed it did you disconect the vacuume line to the distributor? You must do this to time it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What did you try to set the timing at? 12Degrees advanced should be a decent starting point. As far as your cooling problem goes the way you described it there is probably somthing you forgot.did you put in a thermostat? did you remove a shroud? was there a spring in your lower radiator hose?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd like to know how your 670 avenger works out for you. I got my cleveland running a few weeks ago, the dyno shop recamended the Holly 750. I'm running an Edelebrock 600 now with the largest jets, and they say it's running lean. the 750 will be to me by Tuesday, (via Summit) I'll also let you know how that goes.

congrats on on the fire up!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Apparently there is a removable orifice plate under your thermostat on the cleveland. If it was removed during your rebuild alot of your coolant will bypass your rad and just recirculate in your block.Its doubtful any of the other things you mentioned would cause high coolant temps what they might cause is high cylinder temps which cause detonation,melted pistons that sort of thing.At any rate don't overheat that fresh engine find that problem and fix it before you cook something.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
the running hot happened on my motor when I got it built, I replaced the thermastat, guess it stuck from the crap in the coolant. After I replaced it, no more problems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I will try them all tonight and post here if any of them worked for me.
slick mo fo-
We will be hooking up the avenger soon, with the regular silver spring for the secondaries within the week. I will let you know how it does with all three springs that were included in the hit (soft for more acceleration, medium for all-around, and stiff for fuel econony.)
Thanks again!
Matt

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Matt,
just got the 750 Holly put on this evening, "sheet dang, I gotts me a rocket"

one thing I want you to be aware of, I'm sure the avenger has the same fuel line as mine (one line splitting it to 2 going to both bowls). they give you the splitter, but, the end of the splitter is metric pipe thred (16mm), so you will have to get an adaptor to hook up your fuel line to the splitter. Another thing, mine came down at an angle and hit the top of one of the intake bolts. being the grunt that i am, I grabbed and tweeked by hand. if you do this (it worked) be carefull, after I started it up, I had fuel puddles all over the intake. make sure all is tight, I MEAN TIGHT!!! then tighten again, but don't break it.

good luck

let us know how it goes

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slick mo fo-
Its good to hear that you got the new carb on without too many problems.
I tyied instaling mine yesterday, and realized that the bracket that the throttle cable mounts to will not work. Sooo I am just going to keep the edelbrok 550 on there untill we solve the heating up too fast thing fixed. I will let yous knows how it goes when we finally do get it on there.
Thanks
Matt
P.S.
My carb came with 2 rubber tubes, a T thingy, and 2 things that screw on to the carb. All are push-ons besides where it connects to the carb. I will up-grade this to some chrome stainless line after it is going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts