Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My father's about to have his 64 worked on a bit (I'm not near home and he's too busy on the farm). We bought a lot of engine parts (edelbrock top end). I posted here last summer when we were working on it a bit.

I was thinking about some other mods to do. In particular, we put in a dual master cylinder, however, we're still running drums all around. I noticed there's a bracket on ebay to convert the front setup using S-10 calipers - has anyone else used this or know if it's a good idea?

I was also interested in the Ford 8.8" rear - but the modifications seem like they might be a hassle w/ our capabilities and work schedule. Anyone have an idea of a better option to get a posi rear setup that they've tried? It's currently got the stock open 3.25 setup (4 speed close-ratio toploader).

Basically, my dad isn't that fond of finding 2 rear ends (likely the 3.55 gears) and modifying them. Maybe it's not that bad, but it's easier to give a mechanic a few parts rather than a project like that - so in that sense I see what he's saying. Maybe it's not that bad?

Any recommendations for these two areas would be helpful. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cooker - The rear end change is not as complicated as you thing. A late explorer disc brake posi rear (with mid/high 3 gears) is not as big a deal. You only need 1 rear but the shorter axle from the second. You'll have to cut the long side down to get the houding under the fairlane. I believe it's been done on this site.

As for the front caliper deal ... I can't answer that. I can only say that Fatman Fabrication had a nice drop spindle/disc brake set up for short (kinda) money.

Good luck.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check with Scarebird also for disc conversion brackets.

Here is the write up on the 8.8" narrowing. My Dad and I also narrowed one for my 65 Falcon. It's pretty easy.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/rear-end-articles/495110-31-spline-explorer-axle-swap.html

Jet
I see someone is using the Scarebird bracket in a kit for $415 & $70 shipping (ouch). I could do better than that buying the parts myself, right?

I'm going to call up a few places tomorrow if I get a chance to see about explorers w/ the 8.8" rear.

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts