Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go get a new car last week, had picked out a new Toyata Tundra. I went to get price quotes on insurance, and it is too much for me too afford. My parents want me to get my own insurance policy, so that's why. Add to that my age, 19, I've had two speeding tickets, and I'm male, which makes me a "high risk" driver. lol

So I guess I'll keep driving the old Ford when I get it back. I don't have the car right now, it's in the body shop. But it really sucks having to ask for a ride to work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Drive that Fairlane, Rod! My 72 Mach 1 was the only car I drove all the way through college. The 12 mpg fuel economy kinda hurt, but there was no payment.
Besides, a store-bought car that most of us could afford won't run like our toys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rod, why don't you find an old piece of crap Ranger?
They get pretty good mileage, are cheap to insure (only need liability), and cheap to maintain ($25 tires at Pep Boys). Tags are cheap also.
If you find some greasy treasure at "Ecology" you don't mind throwin it in the bed cuz its just an old beater.
If some moron in his Lexus backs into it in a parkin lot then he gets hurt more than you cuz its just an old beater.
If you have to go pick-up parts it don't matter that you have on greasy clothes cuz its just an old beater.
Nobody wants to steal it cuz its just an old beater.
The cops won't pay any attention to you cuz its just an old beater.
And if you decide to sell it you will probably get at least what you paid for it.
That way you can put the money you save into the Fairlane and drive it only on special occasions.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hooray for beaters! I miss mine in a crazy way... Its great to go for a drive, scratch up paint, maybe get a few dents, and it still looks the same!

·
Registered
148 Posts
On 2002-07-03 23:47, BuiltFordTough wrote:
Hooray for beaters! I miss mine in a crazy way... Its great to go for a drive, scratch up paint, maybe get a few dents, and it still looks the same!

Aint it the truth! Know a guy that had a Datsun pick-up beater that he drove for 2 years with no third gear. Finally fixed the tranny, put wheels on it, and an Earl Shieb paint job and some SOB stole it. When they get to a certain point you're better off leavin it alone.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, I drove mine without 3rd and 4th for a while.
1st, niiiiiIIIII, 2nd, NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, 5th.... CLUNK, chug chug chug

·
Registered
430 Posts
My last car, I spent cubic dollars to make it as nice as possible, but I was never satisfied - there was always something to drip, or be dirty, or be imperfect in some way. I just don't have the energy or time some of those carshow people have to sit there with toothbrushes scrubbing nuts and bolts.

With the Galaxie, I'm perfectly aware it'sa bit ratty, and the engine is dirty, there are lots of paint chips, and it leaks a bit of tranny fluid, but for the amount of money I have invested I couldn't even afford a set of nice rims for the last car.

These days I ask myself "will this part make the car a) more reliable, b) faster or c) look better" - and if it's only c) it goes to the back of the list after everything else.

I'd rather drive my beater than just look at the mint car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts