Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to pull the other valve cover to see if there are any loose rockers on that side and I found out that #8 exhaust is as loose as #1 intake!
I tried to measure the protruding lengths of the studs againt the others but it's really hard to tell since I don't have precise measuring tools besides a tape measure.

I don't know what my next step should be. Should I call a machine shop and ask about getting the studs pressed in again or what?
I'm guessing I either have two worn cam lobes or two studs starting to pull out.

My cam lift is only .518/.523 How comon is it for press in studs to pull out with aftermarket cams and springs?
What would you guys do at this point? I dont want to start wasting money on parts I dont need.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Maybe the lock nut simply backed off. You can also measure the movement of the rocker arm once you re tighten to see if a lobe is worn.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
It was very common for them to pull out. You might try putting a straight edge over them all to see if some are higher. I have seen them pounded back in with a hammer so we could get home but obviously that is a temporary solution. I have put in screw in studs without further machining but it requires using rail type roller rockers and is not for very high rpm motors. If you use guide plates you may want to shop for some other heads.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I have the positive stop type rockers. They are '74 heads that I already have too much money in. They still have the factory rockers yet and they do not have guide plates.
I tried using a straight edge across the top of the studs but it was hard to see if any were higher. To the naked eye, they all look the same height but I know that's not always the case. It can either be pulled studs or worn cam lobes that would prevent proper rocker adjustment. I'm going to pull the intake(as much as I dont want to) later and try to pull the lifter out to inspect it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never had a stud get pushed out. But, I have a buddy that it happened to. If you don't want to have threaded studs installed, you can either drill and pin your pressed in studs or have a shop do it.

Also it is common to have the rocker arm nuts back off.

I like using lock nuts. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-920g/overview/

They nuts are not backing out because they wont tighten up not matter how tight the nut is. The nut is all the way down on the threads and can go no further and it still has TONS of slack. If I really wanted to, I could almost remove the pushrod fron under it if I wanted to. I can literally move the rocker up and down on the stud at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch(fully tightened). It's only #1 and #8 that do this. I know that can't be right.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After taking another look at the studs I am 99.99% sure at least one stud pulled out. It's up higher than the next one by about 1/8 inch or so. I even had my girlfriend come out and look at them. All I said to her was "DO you notice anything different beteen these two studs?" She looked for a second and put her fingers on the two studs and said" This one is up higher"

I then took the intake off and pulled that lifter to inspect it. It came out of the bore super easy and I could not see any obvious damage to the bottom of it. It looked like it was still new.

The stud on #8 didnt seem higher than the other one, or at least it wasn't as obvious or as much as the other one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts