Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warranty dept. at Comp just received my cam and checked the specs. I spec'd out correctly but there were some interesting side notes. Scott is who I've been dealing with and he's been more than helpful. He said it looked as though the cam was too far forward in the block judging by some premature dizzy drive gear wear. Before I boxed it up, I compared the CC stick and my old Lunati. With the two lined up side by side, the CC cam dizzy drive gear was actually about .2" farther back measuring from the front. Because of that, could the dizzy gear have been effectively "pulling" on the cam and brought the lobe positions too far forward? I don't know how, the retaining plate and bolts were in position and tight. This motor stuff is weird....
Anybody got any thoughs? If the cam was too far forward, how do I push it back in the block?????????

·
Registered
582 Posts
My friend had a similar problem with his 351W. He was wearing camshaft dist. drive gears. I checked everything I could think of and couldn't find anything wrong. We finally brought the motor to a good machine shop to see what was up. It turned out to be the fuel pump eccentric was the wrong one for the engine. It actully had a bow in it, and was cracked at the bolt hole.
I guess we used an eccentric from his 302 engine by mistake. So check that out.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the next installment. Got my new cam in the mail yesterday and compared it to the old Lunati I had in there and everything matches up perfectly. The first CC cam dizzy drive gear was approximately .036" farther back on the stick. I'm almost sure my first cam was ground wrong! I never even thought to compare the two before hand. I just threw it in there. Big Mistake. There's a lesson here everybody, double check everything!!!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
That's damm good info! I generally assumed that everyone, (like major cam manufacturers), drew their blanks from one big pile. (all being the same, of course)...... Great info! Thanx!

·
Registered
739 Posts
That is really strange. I just degreed my Comp Cam and it was dead nuts on. I used the intake centerline method and a dial indicator and it was exact. Mentioned it to a brother who has installed and broken in 3 Comp Cams without a single problem. He said he asked Comp about degreeing one of his and the Comp guy said, "go ahead and degree it. It'll be right on...". I have never heard boo about a Comp "issue".

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe I'm a little slow, but, if your cam has the correct end play, how would a reported dist. gear misalignment of .200(and why is the CompCam dist. gear off and not the Lunati?)cause your lifter to seize in the bore and flatten the cam lobe.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's the whole truth and nothing but. CC warranty dept never did say outright "We [email protected]#ed up, sorry about the bearings sucker!", but they shipped me a new cam a day after they received the old one and paid shipping back to me. I feel like the warranty dept. treated me right.
The real issue is the dizzy drive gear and why was it different. My first CC cam was different from my old Lunati. The warranty cam I just got is exactly the same as the old Lunati. In the "Which one of these is not like the other" game, the second/bad cam was different. That's why I'm guessing it was ground wrong. If the drive gear was wrong, what's from saying the lobes were off? Could that stock simply have been chucked in the lathe wrong and screwed from the get-go? Maybe one lifter went bad and that's why the lobe went, who knows. However, the gear differences remain. The placement should be have been the same and it wasn't. Now it is. All I know is now I've got to put the sucker back together again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts