Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I asked about starting my 289 on my engine cart and got a bunch of good input. Here's a picture of a radiator bracket (black) I made and attached to my engine cart (orange).

I still need to learn how the ignition works and I'll be wiring that up as I figure things out.

I'll keep updating this thread as I get more done.

George

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1965Comet on 11/27/06 12:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
279 Posts
this may sound silly, but... i'd bolt some "outriggers" to it as well, just in case, well not really just in case, when u DO rev it, it may try to tip on you....better safe than sorry....just my .02...btw, looks great

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hmm, by the time you're done, you might have a whole chassis there! Bolt a seat to it and time to go racing!! =D

Cris

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Comet, I did the same thing for my 545ci. Just get a battery and hook up your msd, and some gauges, then you can break in and check for leaks before it goes into you car, or in my case, before it goes to the dyno. BTW, I rev'd my engine, ran at high idle etc, and the engine never tried to "torque," fall over.
Here's a short vid on my initial startup

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: de5775 on 11/27/06 10:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gotten feedback both ways regarding the engine torqueing over. Since I've never done this before...I'll add the "outriggers" and play it safe.

When I'm done and have a seat attached to the back...I'll attach a weed whacker to the front and have a 200+hp lawn mower!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I Think those outriggers will make a great obstacle to trip over while your working around your engine. Dont bother with them and if you feel like you have to have them make your wheel stance a few inches wider instead. I know because I have used these stands on several occaisions and its not an issue. Think about it, You have a 450# engine thats trying to be torqued over by 100# of crankshaft, flywheel, and balancer.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just don't rev the engine quickly and it won't torque over.Just bringing up the rev's slowly won't make much difference at all..That thing is up in the air pretty good so I'd be cautious...A few gentle revs will give you an idea of how it will react.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I like your stand. I have a 393 on a similar stand. I think I'll try the same thing. Are you going to add some mufflers? I think I would get some square tubing and widen the stance a bit and maybe add some heavier duty wheels.

Add a Pantera transaxle and that could turn into a great go cart.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You know which way it will try to rotate/torque ... so you really only need protection in one direction regarding that "potential" problem. I'm guessing there won't be a problem with torquing of the entire motor on the stand since there is no "Resistance" to the rotation of the internal rotating assemble and the block is pretty dang heavy.

That looks super though ... makes me wish I had one of those over the past several years ... Great Job.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Now you're going to force me to make one....

These are cool!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Here's where I'm at today. I've got most of my wiring done. Still a couple more wires to go. Still trying to figure out my resistive wire to the coil. Need some vacuum hoses...
and that might be it! I don't have a voltage gauge yet but I've got my tach and oil pressure and water temp gauges in place.

Hope to fire her up this in the next couple weeks...

g

·
Registered
176 Posts
no need for outriggersi have one like that i made and we have done a 351c a 460 and my 347 and thay have all been fine revving them fast there is no way it will tip over

jeff

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
We built one similar to the one George has. Ours is set up to run SBC, BBC, SBF, BBF (FE and 385), 335, and SBchrysler. BBchrysler won't fit...yet...but it works great for just starting them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting close to starting her up. Was going to do it today...put oil in and ran the oil pump with my drill and got pressue to read on my oil gage while turning the crank. Put coolant in and it started leaking immediately under the water pump. Took it all apart and re-did the gaskets and it still leaked. Its leaking between the two lower bolts that hold on the water pump cover plate. I'll try permatex gasket maker tomorrow. Gotta to get it to hold water with no pressure before I do anything else...

g

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Isn't it great to find these problems on the test stand instead of the car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think you have the wrong gasket samething happened to me and it seemed summit sent the wrong gasket with my edelbrock pump.the gaskets look similar but flip the pump over and you will probably see the gap where the gasket is incorrect

1 - 20 of 28 Posts