Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, My 94 Stang has a stout 347, it made 460ft lbs at the crank. I am ready to by a set of M/T 17'' drag radials. I wanted to buy a set of 31 spline axles for it. Do I need to change the whole center section or just the side gears?? I don't launch it hard at the track and I don't power shift...are upgraded axles just overkill?? Or should I go with a stock 28 spline, just a good axle, such as superior or strange?? Or keep what I got???

Thanks for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I dont see why an upgraded 28 spline wouldn't hold up. Project 11.99 on this site as far as I know still runs 28 spline aftermarket axles.

I personally went with 31 spline because I don't ever want to be changing them back out. I figured if I went with more than what I need I'd never have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also feel the same as you mike, do it once and do it right. I have heard that i will have to replace everything in my 8.8, not just side gears to match the new 31's, if i purchase them..i've never changed them in an 8.8 before. My dad has done 9'' but this is our first 8.8 rear end. I have a limited budget, so doing everything in the rear end is kinda out the window, especially seeing as how everything works perfectly rigth now.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
It like any other part the are going to break sooner or later. you'll probably slid by with the 28's, but its a good idea to upgrade. 31 spline axels are not overkill and Factory 31 spline truck T-lock would be a good economical choice to replace your 28 spline unit.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You'll be launching hard at the track before you know it. Too much temptation to shave off some time. We all end up pushing the limits of our vehicles at the track some point or another. I say 31 spline.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I would look into C-clip elim's. Your dont want to do this with your axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.